Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bill Hunt's custom 64-bit laptop

Feb 4, 2013 10:09 AM

In another thread, moderator Bill Hunt mentioned he was waiting for the delivery of a 64 bit laptop he has custom ordered.  He added he would be putting PrE11 on it. 

Bill, if you read this, would you give some detail on what you ordered and how it relates to PrE11 performance?

Thanks.

Bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

I have ordered the ADK 9000 i7 from this page: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp

I am replacing a great, albeit older Sager, with XP-Pro on it.

The holdup has been the delivery, and then testing of the new Clevo MoBo's for that unit. They were projected to be shipped in Oct., 2012, but took much longer.

I went with the full 3x HDD setup w/ 32GB RAM.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

The newest generation of SSD's is a vast improvement over mechanical, "spinning platter" HDD's, and also older SSD's. The size, and reliability, have gone up, while the price has come down. Because of the lack of mechanics, the old bottleneck of multiple reads/writes at the same time, has been diminished.

Many are now doing a RAID with SSD's, and just putting everything onto that Array. This is especially true for the "enterprise level" SSD's, but they are still very expensive.

I think that with the next generation, they will have fully "arrived."

Good luck, and enjoy that HP.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>full 3x HDD

Hmm... is that like a mobile/manufactured home, with a "living room tip out" to accomodate everything?

Does that come with an insulated lap robe, so you don't burn your legs if you do have it in your lap?

If you need portable, sounds like a great computer

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Actually, I run the laptop on a cooling pad, and with a 3x I/O, battery life is pretty limited. For me, it's basically a "portable" small workstation...

Hope to have the unit, by the time I return from DC, so I can start loading and playing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

I think that you have a wealth of material, right out the front door. Where are you, Quartzite?

Once, there were tons of snowbirds in the Metro-Phoenix Area, but not so much any more. Seems that places, like Lake Havasu City, and Quartzite, are garnering the majority now.

Enjoy,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points