Skip navigation
Big Ted leeds
Currently Being Moderated

Workshop

Feb 4, 2013 11:15 AM

Hello

I am, as you can see, new to the Community. Hello . I am also quite new to Photoshop and wonder if anyone can recommend a good instruction manual or Workshop book.

I have viewed many training videos on Youtube and they are great but i tend to learn parrot fashion and dont really undersatnd what I am doing.

Blend modes for layers are especially confusing.

Hope you can point me in the right direction

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to Big Ted leeds

Welcome to the forums.

the Classroom in a Book series can be a good place to start.

Also, Lynda.com (a pay site) has many great training tutorials.

And, of course, the manual can be helpful, but, of course, you have to know what whatever you're looking for is called. Thus the books / tutorials.

And finally, once you grasp the basics, experiment!

Good luck.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to OldBob1957

This was done years ago in Illustrator, not Photoshop, But I found it helpful in getting my head around Blending (Transparency) Modes.

Blending Mode.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to Big Ted leeds

Think of each pixel individually.

For a given pixel, each layer contains color and mask values that are combined mathematically with the result from the layer(s) below it.  The math function is the Blending mode that you choose.  Some are simple (e.g., Multiply or Linear Dodge (Add)).  Some are complex.

Photoshop takes care of examining each value from each pixel and combining it with the layers above, finally generating a composite result that it shows you, saves to a file, or generally somehow becomes your work product.  It's a huge task, but that's why we have hugely powerful computers (and graphics processing units).

A big math formula executed millions of times over - that's the concept in a nutshell.  Learning how the various Blending modes work takes time, and you can strive to understand them from a mathematical perspective and/or intuitively - as in "what does a 'Screen' operation do visually when color A is put over color B", that kind of thing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points