Skip navigation
CronosDageCS
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash Professional CS4 freezes when trying to save

Feb 4, 2013 2:02 PM

It doesn't exactly freeze, but the only option is to force quit Adobe Flash Pro CS4 when I open the save dialog on OS X. This results in every project ever being lost.

I can export but I cannot Save As. The window opens but no options are clickable, and I can't Cancel.

Help.

Edit:

I have had this problem for two years and I even reinstalled deleted all preference files, no luck.

Running latest version of Mountain Lion.

I can use the entire app (like change workspace type or menus) but I can't do anything that's greyed out, Save or cancel the Save As... box.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to CronosDageCS

Try saving down to a lower version of Flash, see if it works (change the filename of course).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to CronosDageCS

The initial question (and topic) mentioned just "Save" so it's a little confusing.

I see your edit about "grayed out items". Save/Save As are always grayed out if you haven't actually changed the document. If you open it, make any change at all, it shouldn't be gray. Is that the case?

Aside that, Save As not working, you should consider the old .zip fix to see if it works for you (although you will need windows on VMWare or perhaps newer versions of some OSX apps support .zip repair):

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/07/24/unexpected-file-format-erro r-on-opening-flash-files-using-flash-cs5-5/

That may repair your issue.

If not and it's nothing proprietary you can shoot me a PM with a direct download to the FLA and I can see if I can repair or salvage it.

Always keep several backups and never save over a network!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to CronosDageCS

I meant the File->Save option should not be gray if you "make a change" anywhere in the document. I only have access to an OSX Server remotely to illustrate this point so SimpleText should help you understand what I mean by a grayed out menu item:

gray1.jpg

The big red arrow.

You can get to the Save As dialog so clearly grayed out menu items wasn't the issue. Moving on..

Your screenshot buttons may be unresponsive but they also aren't "grayed out". Here's a Save dialog with a truely grayed out button:

gray2.jpg

Your button is not grayed out.

Accurately describing your issue here will help quite a bit. The "save crash" issue has been so rampant it's the first suggestion I had so I offered it. Often repairing the FLA fixed the saving mechanism.

In your case I honestly haven't come across your issue so I have no more suggestions outside reinstall Flash completely.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to CronosDageCS

From your screenshots i get the impression that the save as dialog is somehow glitched into the document panel. So while its visible it could be that it has no focus and thus neither keyboard or mouse works on it.

Try to use Window>hidePanels beforw you open the save as dialog and see if that fixes your problem. Under Windows the default shortcut is F4.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points