Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy/Paste duplicates graphic styles

Feb 4, 2013 1:25 PM

Tags: #copy_paste #graphic_styles #graphic_style

Scenario: Start with a named graphic style of say 2 pt black stroke/no fill called '2.0 pt'. Create an object using said style, copy and paste it, every time I do this I get '2.0 pt 1', '2.0 pt 2', '2.0 pt 3' etc. insanely populating my graphic styles panel. Anybody else experience this behaviour or is it just my set up and something I have to troubleshoot?

This is with CS6 (16.0.4) running on Mac OS X.6.8

Any help, much appreciated

Les

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to Les ONeill

I don' t see this. You should check for the HUH- problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/713466

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to Les ONeill

Can you post a sample .ai file (CS-6 and CS-5-format) ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Les ONeill

Sleep will now get in the way of any effort over here ;-)

Seriously, the issue you're talking about reminds me of some odd behaviour in older versions of Illustrator. For example, symbol instances which contained raster images were duplicated as new Symbol definitions in the Symbols palette when doing a Copy and Paste. The same went for (some) brushes.

It still might be insightful to get one of your sample files. You could use Google Drive to provide the files. Or any other vendor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Les ONeill

Just tested. Works OK.

It shouldn't make a difference, actually, since document profiles are just normal AI files.

Have you created new graphic styles or are you copying them from older files?

Older files may be "infected" with the HUH error. It's a very serious error that works kind of like bird flu.

You might try the cleaning procedure mentioned in the other thread. It requires that you turn on the correction mechanism in Illustrator and clean your files by opening them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Les ONeill

When choosing from the new document profiles you could select the "Browse" menu item and navigate to any AI file you like, to use it as new document profile.

So it's not in the folder, but only in the dialog box. The folder just is the place where Illustrator looks to build the menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Les ONeill

I'd still suggest to provide a sample file, Les …

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Les ONeill

Does not happen for me in CS6 10.8.2. Mac or in CS5.

You mentioned this does not happen with canned styles. Try creating a new style called "2 pt". The period may be setting off a mild case (since your CPU has not slowed down) of HUH error.

Also create a fresh new document and follow your steps, so we can rule out or confirm HUH.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points