Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Timestamps on Slice PNGs (CS6)

Feb 4, 2013 3:51 PM

Tags: #fireworks #cs6 #slices

I'm using FW6 on Windows 7 to create sets of graphics that I export as slices in PNG format. Needless to say, this involves modifying and re-exporting them often while I'm trying different color schemes, etc.

Anyway, what I've noticed is that when I export the slices and there is already a copy of that file in the target directory, FW correctly creates the new file, but it only changes the Modified Date of the file; it does not updated the Created Date! The Created Date stays the same as when the slice file was originally created.

This has caused me some confusion when looking at a default file explorer window that only shows the created date, and it also appears to be causing the file not to be automatically backed up under some conditions, not updated in the product build, etc.

Has this ever been noted? The only workaround is to delete the existing files before exporting new versions, but that is a huge PITA when I have many to work with in the directory.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to gordonwd

On the one hand, this sounds like it's working exactly as it should be: You're not creating a new document each time, you're updating or modifying an existing one (with the same name and in the same location, etc.). On the other hand, graphics exported on my Mac seem to get a new creation date each time, so… maybe it's a matter of interpretation by the operating system (?).

Some ideas:

• How about exporting the slices into a single folder, making it easier to delete the previous versions?
    • How about creating a new folder for each export—that way, you could also retain multiple versions.
    • Would it work to use something like Preview In Browser in earlier stages, instead of a full-on export? (This creates some kind of a temp file instead.)
    • How about using Save As before exporting? You could rename the file based on the build number, or try using the same name to see if it overwrites the previous file and gives you a new creation date.
    • Finally, if it's a huge problem, maybe you want to look into some type of script that could read the date modified of the exported graphics and apply that to the creation date.

Regarding backups and build versions, I don't fully understand the context in which you're working. But I'm also thinking: Isn't modification date a common enough concept that it could be recognized by your system?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points