Skip navigation
GertrudeHolmes
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge has a problem

Feb 4, 2013 4:17 PM

Whenever Bridge opens, I get this alert. I am using the trial version of CS6 Design Standard on OSX 10.8.2

I tried doing as requested and then Bridge freezes when I open a new folder. I don't want to buy the software if it has a problem.

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 4.48.50 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to GertrudeHolmes

Moving this discussion to the Bridge General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to GertrudeHolmes

Try this:

Quit Bridge, from user library (NOT system and root library) preferences folder find and delete the Bridge5.plist file manual. Do this also in same user library caches folder (Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6) and inhere find and the folder called 'cache' and drag it to the trash.

restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences, then try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Got this problem about a week ago. Running 10.6.8 on a beefy 2009 Mac Pro. Purging in preferences didn't help and though Bridge still worked it was unable to produce thumbnails for some folders and got stuck building criteria. Fixed permissions, no help. Nor could I do what your suggest, I can't even find a file named Bridge5.plist anywhere on my MP. However, I started Bridge with the option key down and chose both reset preferences and purge cache and all seems good now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 5, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Johan Björklund

I can't even find a file named Bridge5.plist anywhere on my MP

That file is in your user library and the cache file by default is also in this user library.

When you have a default install your applications are on root level and since you are the user the cache file and custom preferences are in the library in your user account.

So the path would be: computer / user (your username) / library / preferences / Bridge5.plist.

In the same library for the cache file from Bridge (if you would choose to delete it manually to start over all fresh again) it is user/library/caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 / and inhere is a folder called 'cache'. If you have quitted Bridge and delete this folder Bridge will create an new and empty Cache folder after it has been restarted.

Apple decided to hide the user library per OSX 10.7 so you should see it anyway. Otherwise in Finder go to menu Go and hold down option key to reveal the user library.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke, it OP never had previous versions then he would not have Bridge5.plist.  But the rest of it applies.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to GertrudeHolmes

Yes, that was the first suggestion in thread #2.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Omke, it OP never had previous versions then he would not have Bridge5.plist.  But the rest of it applies.

That would only be the case if the OP never started it but as soon as the warning message pops up the app has started and also then created a plist file and a cache folder if it was not already there 

However, there is a significant change in OS between OSX 10.6 and OSX 10.7. Since 10.7 Apple decided to hide the user library by default, probably because many people tried things they better not had done and then called the help desk...

Up to 10.6 the user library is normal visible in the user library and from 10.7 and above you must use a little trick to reveal it. The easiest way is to to select the menu Go and when the fly out menu shows itself press option key and that brings the option to select the user library in view.

A more permanent solution should be done using Terminal to add a Unix code, sounds trickier then it is and when doing a google search for hidden library in Mac Os their will be enough information to get id done with much effort :-0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Well, looking again today I did find a file named com.adobe.bridge5.plist but it seems I can leave it be. I've had all CS versions except CS4 which I skipped, so I also have files bridge.plist, bridge2.plist, bridge4.plist and bridge4.1.plist

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 11:12 PM   in reply to GertrudeHolmes

-- I had the same problem

-- launching Bridge and then choosing to purge cache in the Prefs did not help (continued spinning ball, Bridge no longer reacting, had to to force quit every time)

-- but that often mentioned 'start Bridge while holding down the option key and click all three options in the appearing dialog' helped at once!

(not sure of the cause, but may be Adobe experts might be able to track the wrong behaviour when they get more details:

-- I had used Bridge two weeks on my MacBook

-- (run from external backup HD I had with me from the Mac at home)

-- I had copied the images from my digital camera in these two weeks via Photo Downloader into Bridge

-- I deactivated the Adobe applications when shut down the Mac Book two days ago

-- back home I 'copycloned' the external HD to my Mac at home yesterday evening

-- when starting Bridge this morning at my 'big Mac', the message in question kept appearing every time I launched Bridge)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 8, 2013 12:27 AM   in reply to bebeatrice

-- back home I 'copycloned' the external HD to my Mac at home yesterday evening

Not sure if I understand your workflow correctly but it seems you are running Bridge on an external HD? Bridge might get confused if you copy clone data because the cache is user based and by default stored in the user library. Switching between systems might not be that easy to understand for Bridge if you use the same data on different systems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points