Skip navigation
dantdavis
Currently Being Moderated

How do I open a VERY old (1991) photoshop file?

Feb 4, 2013 9:57 PM

Probably ancient to most, but still pertinent to me.

I used Photoshop (on the mac) WAY back in the day. Can't remember the version, but back then, Macs had resource forks, finder.dat and stuff like that. I have a file that was amazingly 8mb in size (gigantic back then) - it had layers! And yes, I still have the resource fork files and so on.

Still, I cannot figure out how to open it.

I have other files from that era - photoshop says it does not recognize them, but irfanview (god bless it) opens the simple ones. But it has a header error with this one.

Any idea on how to open ancient files like this? Any resources? I googled, of course, and the standard answer is "photoshop opens all psd files from any version" - well, this is before the mac put "psd" on these files.

Help? Thoughts?

Thanks.

P.S. I was able to open it only a few years ago. 5? 7? Time flies, doesn't it. Yes, should have resaved it in a newer format. I know.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 10:11 PM   in reply to dantdavis

Hmm, from what I read, back in the day, how ever long ago that was, Mac's opened files according to the header file for determining the file format. From what I gather new Mac's support file extensions and maybe file headers as well.

So, going by that and knowing that windows psd files have both a header and the file extension and uses only the file extension, my guess is mac can do the same. Try creating a copy of the file and add the .psd extension to the end of the filename. If it works, it works.  If not, at least you tried something.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to dantdavis

Its possible the mac and pc versions were not compatible back then.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:25 AM   in reply to dantdavis

If the file is a layered file from photoshop, then it would have to be a psd (photoshop) file as versions before 6 wouldn't save layered files

in anything but the psd (photoshop) format.

On a windows machine if your adding the file extension or using File>OpenAs>PSD that should work on a good photoshop (psd) file, even one from photoshop 3 on an vintage mac, but

since infraview can't even open it, it may well be the file has been corrupted somehow.

On a later mac you should be able to use File>Open, highlight the file in the open dialog and then choose psd.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:24 AM   in reply to dantdavis

It might help if we knew what versions of photoshop you have now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points