Skip navigation
Lee_Gr
Currently Being Moderated

Best way to programmatically test opening a pdf

Feb 5, 2013 12:26 AM

Tags: #pdf #library #developer #sdk

My company, among other things, uses an image processing library to do complex conversions of various types of content ... including pdfs. Sometimes, this library fails and we are looking for a way to, offline, automate the process of checking whether the pdf file was actually valid. All we really want to do is have one machine which can be triggered at some point after an error occurs to try opening the file and mark a record in our error db indicating if it could be opened or not. Then we can act accordingly.

I found pdf library but that has a lot more functionality than simply open. Also, the form to get information on this library does not work for me so I am unable to contact any sales reps from adobe. What would someone recommend for this situation and if it is pdf library, can someone tell me how to get the online submission system to work. I tried chrome and safari and neither work (I can't enter the state field in either and the submit via email button does nothing).

Thanks

Lee

PS: If this is not the correct discussion alias, please let me know where to post. There didn't seem to be a dev sdk related disucssion

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to Lee_Gr

In terms of learning more about the "Adobe PDF Library", how to use it and how to license it, you should get in touch with someone at Datalogics (as far as I know Adobe only handles big key account customers themselves when it comes to the Adobe PDF Library).

Datalogics have a website at http://www.datalogics.com/ and their contact form at http://www.datalogics.com/company/contactus.asp should work just fine. If not, I'd try sales@datalogics.com ...

Olaf

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to Lee_Gr

It's worth noting that Adobe have no product to check if a PDF "is valid". Nor, I believe, does anyone else. Each developer takes pragmatic decisions towards their task of processing valid PDFs. Sometimes they detect certain errors. Some may detect more and different problems. The question of "valid" is not even simple to decide. A room full of experts can argue for hours about what the PDF specification actually means, and whether bad things are forbidden or just ill-advised. Almost all products deliberately accept a number of bad/forbidden PDF features that are commonly found, to make their users happy.

Of course, you could use a PDF library to see whether a file can be opened. But most problems are not detected on open, but when attempting to do various kinds of process.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points