Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Crashes on Launch

Feb 5, 2013 1:21 AM

Tags: #photoshop #on #launch #adobe #crash #premium #production #cs6

Hi! I was using an Adobe free month trial of CS6 Production Premium about one month ago, before I purchased it for keeps. Photoshop was working fine.

Ever since registering my CS6, though, whenever I try to launch Photoshop, it gets as far as "Measuring Memory", then crashes with a message "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred. Photoshop will now exit." There is no crash report (at least, not that I can find). An Adobe technician on the phone suggested I try upgrading to Mountain Lion, but nothing I've read on similar problems said upgrading is a viable solution. Plus, I'm not too impressed with a troubleshooting tip that involves paying money for a package of improvements which are irrelevant to me, and will probably be accompanied by other drawbacks.

I've tried fixing my preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling... No dice.

I'm running CS6 on my MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.7, with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, and 8 GB of RAM.

I'd really appreciate some help. CS6 was a serious investment for me, and I'm feeling quite deflated at not being able to use it. (Aftereffects, by the way, works fine.)

Lola

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Did you uninstall the CS6 trial?  An expired trial can cause problems, especially with Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Please try trashing the prefs by keeping command-alt-shift pressed while starting the program (and choosing accordingly in the ensueing dialog).

The reference to customized Presets refers to Actions, Brushes etc. you may have created that are not part of the default installation and might get lost when the Preferences are »recreated« if you have never saved them.

Preferences settings like Scratch Disk etc. would also get lost when the Prefernces are trashed and need ti be re-set.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Are they unexpired trials or did you just type in s/n when you bought them?  If unexpired trial I would uninstall.

Past posts suggest that measuring memory can be searching for a network drive or bad memory.

Would not hurt to run Mac disk utility to repair permissions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Does PS see all you memory in preferences/performance?

Have you run a memory check in OS?

Are you hooked up to any volumes (e.g., drives with letters) that are sometimes disconnected (external) or unavailable (mapped network drives)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Not a Mac guy but check the OS Help for memory check proceedure.

Memory in PS will be in edit/preferences/performance.  Will show total RAM and what is allocated to PS.  Stay within recommended range.

If you have external drives connected turn them on and see if that makes a difference.  Reboot compter.

A drive letter is when you partition a harddrive and you assign it a letter (at least in Windows).  So computer sees the letter drive (volume) as a seperate drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to LolaKal41

Yes, that means there is some setting in the old you that it does not like.  Sometimes it is very difficult to determine what it is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to LolaKal41

Hi Lola,

If you still haven't managed to find a solution, may I offer some suggestions?

I managed to replicate this crash on launch on my system (OS X 10.8.3, Core 2 Duo 2.44 GHz, 4GB RAM). It seems that the problem arises when Photoshop is unable to listen for incoming connections at launch from 127.0.0.1 (generic IP address for your system) on the TCP port. Are you running any sort of firewall software such as Hands Off! or Little Snitch? If these programs are blocking network access for Photoshop then the app will crash on launch because it cannot listen to the memory management module to discover how much available memory your system has for it to access. This can also explain why you are able to run Photoshop from another user account as that user is not blocking network access to Photoshop. If you are running firewall software such as these (OS X's built in firewall may also cause this behaviour) I suggest you edit your rules so that Photoshop listens for incoming connections on all ports from 127.0.0.1.

Hope this helps you out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points