Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export Error: InDesign CS5

Feb 5, 2013 1:02 AM

I am using InDesign CS5 and I tried to create PDF through Postscript (.ps) from InDesign document. When I print the document using Cmd+P option, there is a error telling “Export Error:”. I have attached the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 2.13.53 PM.png

I checked this issue and I found that when I load the job fonts in “Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Fonts”, we got this error. The same job fonts when I load in “Users/<user_name>/Library/Fonts”, it solves the problem.

Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to Surutai1982

Why are you doing it that way?

If you need a PDF, the just use the export feature in InDesign. Distilling postscript is an archaic workflow and is most definintely not recommended.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Surutai1982

There are major differences between PDF created by distillation of PostScript and exported PDF.

PDF created by distillation of PostScript loses color management and live transparency. The PostScript output by InDesign (and for that matter Illustrator and Photoshop) is optimized for direct printing, not for creation of PDF. The resultant PDF file is not particularly device independent, may exhibit transparency flattening artifacts depending upon what further processing is done with the PDF file, loses significant searchability. “Text Touch-Up” of such PDF is also hindered in many cases and impossible in others.

Creating PDF by distillation of PostScript is usually the result of bad habits of a dozen years ago continuing to be perpetuated into the present. Any reputable print service provider or publication should be able to print (or place) a PDF file exported from InDesign.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points