Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Are there any plans to move the "Math Check" to AFTER the O.K. BUTTON is pushed on STEP AND REPEAT?

Feb 5, 2013 9:40 AM

One of my pet peeves is that I have to clear all the fields in the STEP AND REPEAT dialouge box before I can begin entering information.  I have been patiently waiting for this bug to be fixed.  I am beginning to wonder if Adobe is even aware of the bug?  It drives me nuts to no end!!!  I am sure it is responsible for several points in my blood pressure reading on given days.  I'll have an object selected that I need to step 7 times and I'll bring up the Step and Repeat dialouge box.  I'll enter 7 in the COUNT field.  InDesign will in some cases immediately flag the operation as not possible because there are numbers in the other two fields that I haven't had a chance to edit yet that will cause the step and repeat operation to go off the pasteboard.  It makes me MAD because it changes my 7 back to a 1 and I have to go and put in the correct values for the VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL offset fields and then I have to go back up to the COUNT field and re-enter my 7.  All of this and I haven't even hit the O.K. button yet!!!  Can someone at Adobe pleeeeeeaaaaaase inform the programmers of this glitch and have them move the MATH CHECK to AFTER THE O.K. BUTTON is clicked!  I wouldn't mind the message if the figures I entered were incorrect and I had hit the O.K. button.  But it drives me absolutely insane when it starts trying to correct me before I've even finished entering my values!

Am I the only one?

I would love to hear from anyone else out there that gets frustrated from this.  If for no other reason then to let me know I haven't completely lost my sanity yet.

Thanks.

Randy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to The Digital Man

No, you are not alone. Squeaky wheels get more attention, so fill out the form at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

It will be more effective as a FEATURE request than a bug, in this case, I suspect because you are looking to modify existing behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to The Digital Man

No, you're not the only one. It is annoying. I'm recommending you be given a raise and an increase in vacation time... with pay, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to The Digital Man

You can file a second one as a Bug to cover all bases.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to The Digital Man

I have a bunch of long-standing pet peeves. Why, for example, does the New Document dialog box not show column width fields? Why does the Table of Contents Save a Style call it a style; not a preset? It is called a preset in some 20 other places. Why is their no epub workspace? Why are the justification settings set so painfully conservatively in the Basic Paragraph style? Why are those traditional Swatch colors always there at default in the Swatch panel. You almost never use them. But the Character Styles panel, a much more useful moment, is not pre-stocked with Bold and Italic character styles--something you would tend to use all the time! Why is the Hyperlinks panel so obtuse with its Shared switch defaulting to On? Why is the Drop Shadow always starting at 75% Opacity? Why can't we get endnotes/footnotes right?I could go on and on.

I wish the Adobe InDesign folks would launch a Just-Do-It campaign for InDesign, as was done a couple of years ago for Photoshop. Little things fixed; not new features added on.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

There are other cases in the same direction:

If you want to move (copy) page 1 from document A (1 page) after page 1 in document B (2 pages) and you use the "Move Pages" feature in the pages panel, the target input field is greyed out, because the default target document is the current active document, that holds only 1 single page.

You first have to define the target document (document B in this case) and then the page position (after page 1) you want to.

And to make insanity perfect, you can check "Delete Pages After Moving". But that is simply impossible, because you cannot delete page 1 of a one-page document . And of course, you'll get the appropriate alarm message and you are nearly back to square one.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

Yes, Randy, but that is not the point. The point is a comparison to the Character Styles panel. From the point of view of a newer user, these things are confusing, and a barrier to knowing the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

I know it seems counter-intuitive, and that it appears to be a bug, but if the program is actually performing "as designed" then a bug report will be assigned a "not a bug" status and get no further action. On the other hand, a request to modify an existing feature may get bumped up the ladder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

It is wrong. But not necessarily a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

Anyone who knows the real definition of a bug would advise you to put in

a feature request. There is a big difference between a bug and poor design.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

For your next assignment, see waht you can do about the order of entering a hanging indent....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ah! Good one! That is annoying!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

“He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to  do another and harder and better one.”

― C.S. Lewis

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points