Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Cs6 incredibly sluggish save time, & unable to save document as

Feb 5, 2013 12:00 PM

Tags: #save #document #slow #time #cs6 #cannot #as #sluggish #can_not_save #slug

I am using Flash CS6, animating on ones with the brush tool.  my timeline is 100 frames long, there arent keyframes on every frame, but there are a lot of them.  my .fla file is 79mb. 

there is only one thing in my library - a 15 second .wav audio file... 

Saving the .fla file takes about 2 1/2 minutes!

after the 2 1/2 minutes I get flashed the "cannot save document as...   please try saving with a different name or on a different volume".

contrary to the error message the file does in fact save perfectly fine - in that volume with that name.

what is the deal with the save time being so outrageously long? the program is equally sluggish with copying and pasting keyframes - though thats less of an issue than the save time. 

please help me, i can send you the flash file if your willing to look at it.

ps: I tried opening the file in cs5.5 - the save time was slightly faster, but not by much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to OUI PETSCHEK

I am having the same problem with Flash CS6 in my classroom. Has anyone found a fix for this? Thanks! JR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 10:29 PM   in reply to johnranta

can you share the fla file that causes this problem. If you are on Adobe Creative Cloud you can share a file from the cloud or use any other dropbox and send us the link.

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to SujaiS

Sujai, here’s what I found:

1.       The student’s project is 58 mbytes in size. This is mostly because she used the flame deco tool to create a frame-by-frame animation of a rocket.

2.       At school students have networked folders. The network is 1 gbit, and the server is in the same building.

3.       It took 3 minutes and 40 seconds to save her project. At the end of the Save operation, we got the error message that it didn’t save properly (And, if we have auto-save on, this happens every 10 minutes). . However, the file was properly saved, and could be opened.

So, it appears that Flash has problems saving files of this size, at least in our network. This surprises me, because 50 mbytes is not that big.

I was able to get around this problem by having the student change her flame animation to a movie clip, and Tween the flames. It doesn’t have quite as cool a look as the frame-by-frame, but it’s more efficient (and only 6mbytes in size).

Thoughts? JR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to johnranta

You should not be working on Flash files across the network. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

I'm not sure what to say. I've been teaching Flash Animation for 7-8 years. Our school has always stored student folders on our network server. I've had hundreds of students storing their project files across the network. We've never had this problem.

I confess that i have not spent a lot of time reading this forum, I only turned to it because of this recent problem. So, I was unaware that "this problem has been discussed many times on this forum". But are you really telling me that, in 2013, an application like Adobe Flash CS6 cannot figure out how to save files across a high speed network, and it's our fault for thinking otherwise??? Come on, having software work in a network environment is not exactly rocket science (maybe it was in the 1980s). It sounds like you are blaming the victim. If Adobe can't figure out how to work efficiently in a common network environment, why is that our fault? Maybe Adobe needs to fix that!

John Ranta

Media Arts Teacher

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to johnranta

I think pretty much any large binary file type will have issues with this--not just dropped packets but also the possibility two different users could write to the same file at the same time. Possibly you could look at CC and see if it handles this better if you use the cloud storage instead of a network drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points