Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator randomly selects unrelated objects

Feb 5, 2013 12:48 PM

Tags: #illustrator #bug #selection #bounding_box

About once  a day, when I click on an object with the direct selection tool, the bounding box will be way larger than it should, implying another object on another artboard is included in the selection.

This happens when the object I am selecting is NOT grouped with anything else. Moreover, is seems buggy because the mystery object doesnt have its "edges" visible the way it would if it were legitimately selected.

I can deselect all, but then anything I click on, the selection's bounding box is expanded to include the mystery object. The only way I have found to deal with it is to drag a corner of the bounding box, then undo, and then click off again. Then Voila! I am able to select my object (or any other) without the mystery selection happening.

I use clipping masks a lot, as well as many artboards, and have wondered if it's related to this, as the mystery objects are sometimes masked images, and often on another artboard. However, the mystery objects are not always masked.

Anyone else having this weird problem??

I had it with CS5, and hoped it would go away with CS6, but it has not.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to cmcmorrow

Most likley you have a clipping mask selected. Use your layers and appearance palette to help deteremine what you have selected.

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 3.30.44 PM.png

Eiditng masks got to be cumbersome since they changed how masks work in CS5, and suspect that is what is giving you trouble. To edit the contents of a mask, you need to click on the 2nd icon below (circle with a dot in the middle), and also using selection targets in the layers palette (the round buttons left of the blue squares on my first screenshot)

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 3.32.09 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to cmcmorrow

If you are on the mac and a Shift CMD 4 fails to capture what you need, you can instead use Shift CMD 3 to shoot the entire screen, or in utilities there is grab which can do a timed screenshot.

Try to copy your selection, paste into a new document to see what appears.

If some made an opacity mask in the tranparency palette, that also can do something similar, if the opacity mask square(one on the right) was left selected last.

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 3.58.01 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:33 AM   in reply to cmcmorrow

I've had this same problem, on and off, since CS3 (though not yet with CS6). Sometimes in quite simple files; a box with some text, no clipping masks, and where nothing in the file has ever bee in the area where the box suddenly appears (usually off the artboard).

My usual way of dealing with it (found quite by accident), is to select anything else in the file, click it one more time to 'anchor' it, then use any of the align tools (see below). The anchored object doesn't move, and, nine times out of ten, the box is gone. For that persistent tenth time, I have been simply closing and reopening the file (that always cures it), but next time I will try your trick.

Hoping someone will eventually figure out where this ghost comes from, -- OB

Align.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to cmcmorrow

I've been having this exact same issue with a bounding box appearing that is much larger than the object I'm selecting. It drives me crazy because there is no other objust grouped to it or even visible for that matter. It just seems to latch onto something from a recent selection and draw a crazy bouding box and it makes scaling a real pain.

This happened to me consistently on CS6 and is still happening on CC. It is also happening to two of my coworkers so I know it's not an isolated incident.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to cmcmorrow

Hi Camille!

Yeah, we use a ton of artboards, probably more than we should as we build a lot of decks directly in Illustrator, and typically have a combination of placed artwork and lots of logos and type.

Hopefully that helps. I'd love to find out why it happens in general. Adobe, are you listening?

Thanks!

Fritz

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to cmcmorrow

Yes! And thank you! We're blushing over here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 8:54 AM   in reply to cmcmorrow

I am having a similar issue. I have a screen capture of my particular issue. I'm on CC with the most recent update V 17.1.0 and using OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 on a mid-2011 iMac.

This is the video showing my glitch.

http://cl.ly/0e2e1j0O0E2o

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 1:48 PM   in reply to RynoBucket

This is an easily reproduced and thoroughly irritating bug that has persisted through a few versions. Quitting and restarting Illustrator sometimes corrects it but it eventually returns 100% of the time. The response from Adobe is [crickets]. Maybe it's fixed in CC?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points