Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What small annoyance in InDesign would you improve?

Feb 5, 2013 2:33 PM

In a nearby thread, some were talking about small annoyances in the design of dialog boxes within InDesign. Some annoyances are longstanding version after version. What small issue would you improve in InDesign?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Do you want me lock this now, BEFORE things get ugly?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

emot-munch.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Looks like Joel is here for the brawl with food and drink as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to Michael Witherell

My apologies. I didn't mean to hijack Michael's serious thread.

Let's let folks post their pet peeves.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Recompose stories errors with footnotes and tables. Have been there ever since the introduction of both, and much cause for concern.

I once sent a client a "final" print-ready PDF for his ready-for-pressapproval, and he responded with an e-mail with no less than 14 "!!!" interspersed between incredulous queries of "you can't be kidding" and exasperated shouts of "DO NOT SEND IT TO THE PRESS". Quite impressing stuff, actually.

The mere fact that these errors pop up show that ID's Text Composer, complicated as it is, is still something of a black box even for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks for the no-feature-requests clarification, Michael - I had to delete a few actual feature requests before posting. But, that being said:

I would really like Span Columns and Split Columns to not cause massive performance hits.

I would like extensive cross-references to work without a massive performance hit.

It'd be nice if xrefs worked across documents in a Book file.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees stuff like this:

TABS.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Those are cute. How do you make them show up?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's a graphical bug that I get when I increase the size of the Tabs panel. There are a bunch of panels that do it. It's Windows-only, I think, and it's something about the video drivers, or maybe even the onboard Intel video adapter, that our IT department likes to use. I've been seeing them constantly for years and years at work, and quite often when I look at other people using ID on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

In ten+ years of running ID on Windows I've never seen anything like that, even at school on their questionable systems. My systems have never used onboard video, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 12:39 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

@Michael – I already made one or two suggestions in the other thread.

I will rephrase them:

Pages Panel / Move Pages...

Change the order of options to:

1. Move to:

2. Move Pages:
    3. Destination:

Pages Panel / Move Pages...

Grey out the option: "Delete Pages after Moving",
    if the range defined in "Move Pages:" will theoretically cause an empty document without pages.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

If you share the irritation with any of the things posted here, please don't overlook posting an official feature/bug request here: Wishform The more voices, the more chance for seeing results in a future InDesign release.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

+1

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

My minor irritation: I wish that, when I had my pallets stacked together, opening one would NOT automatically close an open one from the same stack. (I understand that those in the same tab group can't open together). For instance, as below, my Swatches pallet can't be in my stack if I ever want to have it and the Gradient pallet open at the same time. It would be nice to at least have an option to change this behavior.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 11.45.52 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

I'm not sure that's any worse than Table Styles or Object Styles, but I could live with calling them presets.

I'd love to see the hanging indents and Step and Repeat errors mentioned in the other thread fixed. Those probably annoy me more often than any other quirk in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

That would be great. And add a highlight for No Break.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier
    1. If by "the hanging indents ... mentioned in the other thread fixed" you mean the thing where you can't have negative idents going outside the text frame, unlike in other applications e.g. Illustrator, yes, please, that annoys the hell out of me too almost every time I use InDesign.
    2. (Shameless plug): Don't break tables of contents in master pages - there are plenty of reasons to want to re-use tables of contents on multiple pages. (if you know a workaround, please answer the other thread - thanks!)
    3. Allow vector shapes or objects to be used in bullet lists as well as glyphs.
    4. Allow footnotes to optionally sit at the end of the story, not just the end of the text frame the foonote reference is in. On multi-column designs, a footnote at the bottom of column 3 of 5 columns looks really bad.
    5. Don't apply a paragraph style or character style to the selection when I right-click on it to get its options. Right-click means "Show options", left click means "Select and apply". If I right click without selecting it first, that means "Show me the options for this character/paragraph style, without selecting or applying it" - so don't apply the style. If I'm right-clicking I probably want to rename it or edit its settings - and that doesn't imply I want to apply it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Looks like you're right, not sure why it was working differently earlier. Okay, discount 2 (answered already) and 5 from my list (sorry for the noise, I would edit the post but I can't find an edit link, looks like edit is time-limited).

One more: baseline grid settings under "Layout" that, like margins and columns, apply on a per-page or per-master page basis and override preferences where appropriate - it's a) a more intuitive consistent location for what is often used as a layout setting and defined at the same time as margins and columns, b) a more consistent behaviour with margins and columns, and c) solves issues like this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to alanomaly

@ anomaly

1. Not exactly. I meant that you can't enter the negative first line indent until you have a positive left paragraph indent specified that is big enough to absorb it, which means you have to fill the fields out of order.

2 is solved

3 see Adobe Community: [Ann] IndyFont Demo: make your own (1 character) font

4 you can add your voice to the crowd for improved footnotes over in the Feature Requests forum, and check out Peter Kahrel's scripts as a temporary workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks. I'd looked into custom fonts for icon bullets before but discounted it because the people I share InDesign templates with aren't able to install custom fonts (those corporate networks where everything is shared from a tightly controlled central server) - I've added a question about whether that's an issue on that thread.

One more common frustration... Inconsistent interpretation of a Wacom (Intuos/Cintiq) tablet's pan / scroll instruction. If you have a tablet with a pen button set to pan / scroll, you have to either remember that this is essentially broken in Indesign, or, you have to go against an indesign design decision and set it to a 'Space bar' key press only in Indesign and remember to never ever try to pan or scroll while in a text frame. I've added more information to this thread about the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to alanomaly

Since the font that IF creates is a regular font it's expected that it be installed. If that's a problem, you can sneak around it by adding a subfolder in the directory where the .indd file is stored named Document Fonts and put a copy of your new bullet font in that. It will be installed in the document for editing (and exporting a PDF), but not anywhere else, when the document is opened in CS5 or later.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points