Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Gradient white lines in .eps file

Feb 5, 2013 9:04 PM

Tags: #illustrator #eps #print #gradient

Hi there,

I designed a vector in Adobe Illustrator CS6, but when saved as an .eps file, white vertical lines appear in my gradient.

Untitled-1.png

What is happening? I've tried rasterizing the vector at 300 PPI with anti-aliasing, but the edges look jagged (but I really want to keep it as a vector anyway)

Does anyone have any idea what I could do?

I don't know whether it's relevant, but I'm using process colours (but that's only because I couldn't get spot colours to work properly).

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

What are your settings for saving? What are you viewing the eps file in?

Top is the AI file, bottom is the placed EPS I created from it.

gradient_test.png

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

What EPS settings? Such lines appearing means the gradient has been expanded to a bunch of fill shapes and that usualyl only happens if you chose some option that would require this...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:31 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

AlvinKeegan wrote:

The lines appear if I place the file in Adobe Photoshop. If I open the EPS file in Adobe Illustrator though, the gradient is as smooth as a baby's behind.

of course it is. When you open this EPS in Illustrator, you don't really open an EPS, but the AI part Illustrator embedded into the EPS file in the first place.

Photoshop is not a suitable tool for "checking" an EPS file

EPS ist not suitable for most modern workflows either. In case you really need this for transferring your logo to Photoshop (or any other Creative Suite app), simply save an AI file (with PDF compatibility).

In case you need the EPS for exchange with other software, please tell us which options you chose on saving the EPS.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

This is what I get with those settings in PS. Whether I use CS5 or CS6, whether I use EPS versions back to CS during the export:

gradient_test_ps.png

When you open your file in PS, are you dragging and dropping, or using File Open?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

uncheck the "compatible gradient". Then gradients won't be separated into objects.

But might cause issues with the client's application or printing hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

My export used the same settings as the OP. The PS screen shot doesn't show the white lines.

Would be good to see a test file that exhibits the issue to see if it was built differently (which I doubt).

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to MW Design

My test: artwork created with (top) and without (bottom) the "compatible gradient" setting. Then placed into Illustrator:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-06 um 18.41.15.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

Whether I place or open and using your file settings into PS, the file appearance is the same, here. Uncheck the setting Monika shows and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to AlvinKeegan

Yes, it is. This splitted gradient was the way Illustrator used to work back in the eighties (and maybe the beginning of the nineties). Printers that can only handle files that old-fashioned way will still need the setting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points