Skip navigation
mcstampfunk
Currently Being Moderated

Save metadata to file?? What's it good for?

Feb 5, 2013 11:10 PM

Tags: #file #save #to #metadata

I am finding that going to File>Save Metadata to File is not really needed.  I changed some metadata like the caption and notes and I don't choose that option in the menu. I then examine the file in Photoshop, and the metadata has already been updated. The metadata gets updated by itself for JPG files, and the XMP file in RAW files gets updated too without me doing anything extra.

What is Save Metadata to File good for then? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 11:28 PM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Some kinds of metadata like captions, notes are written automatically in the file headers, others, like keywords, are not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to mcstampfunk

I'm missing something.  I'm new to PSE 11 but not to PSE.  I am new to Mac though.  I don't recall ever seeing the "Save Metadata to File" before now, and I've certainly added enough keyword tags over the years and never used this command.  Is this a Mac thing?  When is it necessary?

I know captions, but what notes are you referring to?

With the data migration & version change, I've lost all my version stacks.  I've been stacking manually for the most important/recent images but I come back another day & could swear I'd already stacked those images previously.  Could this Save Metadata to File be a factor here?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to SK Prairie Chicken

SK Prairie Chicken wrote:

I'm missing something.  I'm new to PSE 11 but not to PSE.  I am new to Mac though.  I don't recall ever seeing the "Save Metadata to File" before now, and I've certainly added enough keyword tags over the years and never used this command.  Is this a Mac thing?  When is it necessary?

It's not a Mac thing and it's an old PSE feature with only interface changes over the years. It's not a PSE only feature : Lightroom is quite similar in that respect.

To start understanding the 'writing' of metadata to files, it's important to have a clear vision of what a catalog is : an external list of the properties of a media file (a database).

- the location of the file in the drive

- the shooting info written into the file by your camera

- the captions, notes and keyword you may add

- version sets, stacks and albums, which keep the information about how different pictures may be grouped together

- small thumbnails for quick visual search

- etc.

The camera information is already stored in the metadata section. For other types of info, there are different rules :

- albums, stacks and version sets are not a property of a given file and can't be stored in the files, they are only available in the catalog. Even if you 'write metadata to files', you can't retrieve the information if the catalog is missing.

- captions and notes as well as date/time info may be written automatically in the file

- keywords are not written automatically

So, writing the metadata to files has two advantages : it's a way to save important information as another backup if the catalog is missing, and it makes keywords, captions, ratings, notes... available to other external tools, even to the explorer.

I know captions, but what notes are you referring to?

.The notes and captions are available in the properties panel, general tab.

With the data migration & version change, I've lost all my version stacks.  I've been stacking manually for the most important/recent images but I come back another day & could swear I'd already stacked those images previously.  Could this Save Metadata to File be a factor here?

The only way to keep your stacks and albums (which can only be stored in the catalog, not in the files) is to use the backup/restore method, or if you are still on the same computer, to use the catalog conversion feature.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points