Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

.eps graphics created in AI, placed in ID, export to PDF don't print.

Feb 6, 2013 6:18 AM

A client notified me that a pdf I created prints but all of the new .eps files don't show in the print. The one thing I did differently was to convert everything to RGB gor the PDF output since they were getting odd results from my cmyk files when viewed on mobile devices. When I try printing the same document on my own printer everything prints correctly. Any ideas as to why the eps graphics are not printing?

Also, I just noticed that the small avatar or symbol next to all my eps files shows up as a little page with a turned corner and grid lines. Is that a new development I overlooked or an indication that something else is going on?

Thanks a ton.

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to tinsnip

Don't use EPS between Illustrator and InDesign. It will produce all kinds of mysterious errors. Save AI files with PDF compatibility insted for placing in InDesign.

Regarding the conversion to RGB - which printing process produces the errors?

Normally you would produce an RGB version for viewing on screen and a CMYK version for offset printing. But when in doubt: ask the people at the print shop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to tinsnip

When in doubt for the AI file (which is what should be placed in ID as Monika wrote), use RGB. Use PDFX-4 out of ID and allow the rip to do the conversion of the rgb data for printing. This allows a web version to not have that flat color look.

That said, I have been supplied and used EPS files in ID. Some non-postscript printers (HP is notorious) have issues though.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to tinsnip

HP printers can be among the worse offenders.

Good luck. Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points