Skip navigation
durnold
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 is ignoring my Ctrl, Shift and Space keys.

Feb 6, 2013 5:50 AM

Tags: #illustrator #space #shortcuts #shift #ctrl

Using CS6 on Windows 7 and Illustrator has decided not to acknowledge my Ctrl key, Shify key or space bar. This makes using shortcuts impossible.

I have tried resetting Illustrator and even deleted the App data files but it didn't help. I found people with similar problems but never a solid solution. I even uninstalled evernote when some person said that helped them.

At the moment if I try to undo I get the Zoom tool and I can no longer save with Ctrl + S, I can't bring up the hand tool with space or use any of the more common shorctcuts. This problem only affects Illustrator in all other programs the keys work fine, including other programs in CS6.

Has anyone got any idea what is wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to durnold

durnold,

You may try whichever of the following you have not been through already, and see whether it helps (4) and especially the usual suspects in Item 7) under 5) may be most relevant):

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (irreversible);

4) Move the folder with Illy closed (reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may, if all else fails and no better solutions appear:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool, and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to durnold

There might be incompatibilities with other software. Do you use any shortcut enhancing tools?

There also have been some incompabilities with software that connects to the web, like some browsers or browser extensions. This was a Mac OS issue, but it might be worth to check if problems go away when you shut down other apps. Jacob has a list of these as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to durnold

For my part you are welcome, durnold.

Unless you use the Cleaner Tool, the folder with the preferences will/may survive an uninstallation.

Moving the folder is the (only needed) cure for a wide range of strangenesses.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points