Skip navigation
wsquared100658
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to import video files to Organizer

Feb 6, 2013 6:46 AM

I installed Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements, and Organizer as a bundle. I purchased Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Elements and copied the chapter video files to my hard drive.

When I started in on the first chapter, it has me open Organizer and basically import the video files in to Organizer. When I go through the process it doesn't seem to recognize the mp4 files within the Organizer/PE environment. Additionally it seems to pre-assume that I am launching Photoshop Elements as several still image oriented selections appear as settings in the window. Such things as redeye correction. It also defaults to the Pictures folder that is resident to the windows file structure. When I drill down to the folder I created and moved the mp4 files to it seems to not recognize the file type. When I check with windows explorer, the files do exist and play. they show as mp4 files.

When I use Organizer and go to the DVD the files are viewable.

Why isn't Organizer recognizing these files on the hard drive when they do exist and the format seems to be okay as they are seen by Organizer on the DVD and by explorer in windows.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to wsquared100658

I don't know anything about Classroom in a Book, but it could be that you don't have the necessary components installed.

First, make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirement.

Then open Premiere Elements 11, import one of those files into it and place the clip on your timeline. This should trigger Premiere Elements to download the necessary components.

This may not work on a Mac, however. The Organizer on the Mac version may not display thumbnails for all file types.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to wsquared100658

Are you saying that you can't import a file included with the Classroom in the Book into a Premiere Elements project?

I'd say you definitely need to contact Adobe, since they created the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to wsquared100658

When one Copies files from many CD's, and most DVD's, the files come over as Read Only in their attributes.

Check a couple of those CiaB files, to make sure that they are NOT set to Read Only in their attributes. If so, then change that attribute for all on your HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to wsquared100658

If you are on Windows, go to Windows Explorer, and Rt-click on one of those files. From the drop-down menu, choose Attributes, as let us know what is checked, please.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to wsquared100658

OK, that blows that theory. Thanks for reporting.

I do not know what is getting in the way with those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This is the single most perplexing point in your whole discussion, wsquared -- and it does seem to indicate some sort of operator error on your part:

"They import from the DVD direct, but the Classroom in a book tells me to put them in a file on the computer hard drive which I did. It won't pull from the hard drive file. "

This means that there is nothing wrong with the files and it means that the program is able to read them. There is something is going on between your reading them on the disc and your reading them from your hard drive that's going wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to wsquared100658

Except if that were the case we'd be seeing posts from thousands of people with the very same problem.

I mean, it would be one thing if you said you couldn't play the files or your couldn't see thumbnail images -- but you say you can't see them at all!

How are you adding the files from this folder to the Organizer's Media Browser? What exact steps are you using?

Can you think of any reason at all that you can see the files when they're on your DVD but you can't see them on your hard drive? That just doesn't make sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to wsquared100658

PLEASE tell us the exact steps you are using to add these files on your hard drive to your Organizer's Media Browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to wsquared100658

I'm just not sure what is going on. But there is just no reason this should not work. From what you've told us, it's certainly not something wrong with the program.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points