Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Localization & AS3 + CS6 for iPhone do not work

Feb 6, 2013 8:24 AM

Tags: #3.0 #action_script_3 #flash_professional #cs6

Please note that this is not a 'rant'.

I have devoted nearly a month to trying to get localization working in my iPhone app project, using the code samples for AS3 given on the Adobe help pages.

For a start, some of that code has errors in it. Some of it is AS2 and no longer works etc etc.

The Strings panel looks fine and dandy, and if it autoloaded like the docs say it should, it would be great. But it doesn't work.

The other option is to use AS3, which sort of works in some of the examples, and indeed can be made to work in the Mobile debug window. But transfer that sucker to your device, and all your fields are blank.

Its virtually impossible to read the elements from the array into various locations other than the 'callback' function.

Someone in another forum went through the identical steps as me, back in 2009. Wish I'd seen that before wasting my time.

It seems localization in devices is not even on the Adobe radar, so if anyone wants to localize an app, I can only suggest hard-coding the languages in.

if "en" then

else if "zh" then

If you try and use anything else, you will go nuts.

because it's implimentation is very rudimentary.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to rachalmers

Please note that this is not a 'rant'.

So what it is else?

Did you find a Bug? Commit it to the Bugtracker, then.

To state "Localization...does not work" is an oversimplification that borders on a lie. Many users on this forum (myself included) tried to help you out with your specific problems. I myself at some point simply gave up, because I got the feeling that you would not listen to reasonable advice and were not willing to adapt. You found the String Panel (that nobody with localization experience would touch) and tried to make it behave like you wished it would (with a hammer in your sight your problem had to look like a nail), whereas you had minimal localizations (like 100+ strings in total if I remmeber correct) you refused to simply learn sth. about basic XML processing and even considered at some point to employ databases. (!!!)

Then every second post of you was like: "Oh I understand it now. It`s almost working" but -alas- half an hour later you were back and showed, that you had not (understand).

Wish I'd seen that before wasting my time.

Exactly my thought, btw.

If I would work on a problem for one month that thousands of other developers have already solved and would fail to adapt their solutions to my own specific needs I would have at least the maturity to admit that I have bitten off more than a chew and not blaming the documentation or spreading false information about "Adobe not caring for localization"

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to rachalmers

She managed to pull it off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers