Skip navigation
tjbeesz
Currently Being Moderated

Achieving the "Need For Speed: Carbon" look?

Feb 6, 2013 8:25 AM

The 2006 EA video game Need For Speed: Carbon features live action cutscenes. All of it was done with green screen, and they also used a strange filter effect which looks pretty cool.

In this behind-the-scenes videos you get to see the transition from raw footage to the final product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymzLieHHPDM&playnext=1&list=PLdzK5GB2s JvtmvCtAvg8d7JEBncweQIrl&feature=results_video

Notice the effect used to give the live action footage a "night time look".  It also appears to be high contrast and gives the actors' skin a very smooth and shiny look. (The images are a bit too large)

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6839/ytity.png

The image below is from a flashback sequence so the colors are desaturated and it is given a blue tinge.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3873/fsfg.png

I would like to go about achieving this effect using Ae CS6, but I don't know where to start. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to tjbeesz

Some selective blurring, some basic color correction and grading. No magic involved. Just look up some tutorials.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Key first, then an easy solution would be colorista 2 with negative pop desaturation and hue shifts. Crush the blacks and then generate a procedural mask for the highlights duplicate the layer, apply the procedural matte (make a matte from the color channels) to the duplicate, blur and set the blend mode to screen.

If you don't have Colorista then do what Mylennium suggested, blur selectively and color correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to tjbeesz

tjbeesz wrote:

I don't know where to start.

You start with well--shot and well-lit footage. THEN you do what these other gentlemen have suggested. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of good pre-production planning and a good production for making post-production much easier and much better.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to tjbeesz

Regarding the kind of blur that gives the smooth look without destroying detail, while adding a bit of "glow", check out the Bilateral Blur effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to tjbeesz

Also pay attention to how unnatural everyone's makeup is. Reminds me a lot of the artificial look the human robots had in the movie "A.I.",

They really piled on the foundation to give their faces a overly uniform color and made other features (like eyebrows and facial hair) very bold so these details would hold up under the smearing fx.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to tjbeesz

I already have Sg instead of Colorista, will that do?

No, it will not.  You need to begin IN THE CAMERA.  If you don't have good, well-lit images, there is almost nothing that plugins will do do make the images better. 

Get a good camera like they did.  Get a good photographer like they did.  Get a dood director like they did.  Then you're good to go.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points