Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Contact Sheet with metadata

Feb 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Not 100% whether this should go in this group or the scripting group as its not me doing the scripting - but looking at purchasing a script.

I'm trying to create a contact/index sheet for around 5,000 photographs I have of employees. The photographer inputted all their names into the IPTC Core under the Title field.

Bridge doesnt export PDF contact sheets with metadata, correct? Tell me if I'm wrong as it would save me a lot of time.

I believe Bob Stucky created a script that allows you to do this within InDesign. Im currently using CS5.5 and looking to purchase it. I have emailed him but had no response so thought I would ask in here as it has been reccomeded quite a few times.

Does this script allow me to add that IPTC Core data below each image?

Cheers,

James

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to james_dean1986

Don't know if Bob Stuckys script gives you that capability, but here is a crude workaround:

In Bridge, do a Tools > Batch Rename and build a new set of files in a new folder where the rename includes the current filename plus _ plus Metadata:Title plus a filename extension.

Run the Batch Rename; visit the new folder of renamed images; select all; in Output:PDF generate a multi-page PDF with the Overlays:Filename turned on.

Not really elegant, though...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to james_dean1986

Have an alternative. First, read the indesignsecrets piece: http://indesignsecrets.com/creating-a-contact-sheet-or-yearbook-page-i n-indesign.php

Only exception: Rather than use the NAME field from the data merge file, generate a caption based on the title field. Obviously test this out with the preview function in the data merge, but i'm sure it will do the trick

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points