Skip navigation
AquaMicha1305
Currently Being Moderated

Determine hyphen size

Feb 6, 2013 9:29 AM

Hi all,

I want to know the size of an InDesign automatic hyphen when it hyphenate the text in function of the size and the font used.

Should also take into account the size of the hyphen may vary depending on the typographic language used (English, French, Arabic, etc.) when editing text in InDesign.

My goal is to determine the rectangle of a word by taking into account the size of the dash automatically.

Thanks all,

AquaMicha1305

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to AquaMicha1305

Wouldn't the hyphen be the same width as if you typed a hyphen from the keyboard in that typeface and size? Different typefaces have different lengths to their designed hyphens. Dashes are something different altogether from hyphens.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

I'm pretty sure that hyphens are always pulled from the current font at the current size, as Mike says. It could be adjusted in a character style with horizontal scaling.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:11 PM   in reply to AquaMicha1305

You write hyphen depending on language? That is the little dash at the end of a line when a word is interrupted. And in all western languages it is the - (DIVIS).

Where differences are is the dash between words to interrupt part of the sentences, these are (like apostrophes) very different in each language.

In English you use the m-dash—without any space before and after.

In German you use the n-dash (Gedankenstrich) – with space before and after and never at the beginning of the new line (Except Spiegelstrich which is used as bullet, it is the same dash).

Between numbers are also different length and types.

But these dashes are always different glyphs on the keyboard and depending of the language layout on different places. On a mac QWERTZ-keyboard (as I have here in Germany) m-dash = shift+alt+"-"; n-dash=alt+"-", on windows m-dash=alt+0151 (nummeric) and n-dash=alt+0150

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points