Skip navigation
LittleNewsMan
Currently Being Moderated

Errors not showing up in InDesign, finding them in print publication

Feb 6, 2013 9:31 AM

Tags: #errors #preflight

I design a weekly newspaper. Today, and other weeks, we've had what seems to be a sporadic issue where once I finish designing my InDesign document (with no errors in preflight), and send it to our plate maker, the plate is printing a page or more with each line of text cut halfway (see photo).

For instance, this issue occurred this week on our front page, but I used the same template and same PDF preset as the week before, and last week, there were no issues, nor the week before, or week before.

 

My first question is, what might cause the text to print like this on the plate, but not show up as an error in the InDesign document?

 

Secondly, we finally worked around the issue this week by exporting the entire document as a .ps file, then converting it to a .pdf. Why would this have made a difference? More importantly, why would the export setting I've used dozens of times before only not work a handfull of times in regard to the text being cut?

 

Text1.jpg

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to LittleNewsMan

    This looks like a driver issue, or possibly a problem withthe platesetter itself, but you haven't told us if the lines are also cut in the PDF you exported.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to LittleNewsMan

    What precisely are your export to PDF settings?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to LittleNewsMan

    LittleNewsMan wrote:

     

    The lines were not cut in the PDF. The PDF looked fine.

    I'd say if the PDF looks right, the problem is someplace in between the PDF and the plate (i.e the RIP or the driver).

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to LittleNewsMan

    Looking through this entire thread, my best guess is that there is some component in the workflow after the PDF file is created (and viewed in Acrobat) that is either corrupting the PDF file or improperly RIPing it. In the former case, some print service providers seem to be obsessed with putting all PDF files submitted to them through tortuous validation and fixup regimens that more often than not yield mucked up PDF files with no improvements or tangible added-value. Or perhaps they are using some bogus imposition process. In the latter case, there in fact may be a RIP problem.

     

    Without further detailed information about the post export PDF workflow, it is very difficult to pin the problem down.

     

              - Dov

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to LittleNewsMan

    The issue may be exactly how your print man “grabs each page” and “puts each together into a spread.” That process is known as imposition and although most PDF prepress systems handle this as in integrated feature, there are some shops that use very unconventional techniques for this (such as placing PDF files for individual pages into a QuarkXPress document representing flats and generating new PDF from that!). Such techniques are known to often yield interesting and random results.

     

              - Dov

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points