Skip navigation
jclark15
Currently Being Moderated

how I crop single image into multiple files ?

Feb 6, 2013 11:36 AM

I want to divide up a bunch of scanned in photos quickly. I habe 4 or 5 photos

Aligned next to each other in each scan.  Help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to jclark15

Use the slice tool and Save for Web....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to jclark15

The Slice tool and Save for Web can work fine, but it's manual and only produces JPEG/GIF/PNG files. Also, the Slice tool can't deal with the minor rotations that are typically present when you scan multiple photos on a flatbed scanner.

The Photoshop command for splitting apart multiple photos in a single scan is:

File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos

Just have the scanned document open and run that command. Photoshop will split the document into multiple documents, each containing a different single photo from the batch scan, and as a bonus it will straighten out any rotations. You can then save each of those photos separately in any format Photoshop supports.

This works best if there's good contrast between the photos and the background, and if there's enough space between the photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to jclark15

It's supposed to break up the bulk scan and leave you with multiple documents, usually as a set of tabbed windows. As long as the scan with multiple prints is the frontmost document, it should work. In your case, does it leave you with only the original scan, unchanged? If it doesn't work, the photos might have been scanned too close together or their edges might not have enough contrast against the background.

I did a quick movie of how it's supposed to look when it works right:

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points