Skip navigation
filewizard25
Currently Being Moderated

eps file with spot color is CMYK in sep. preview in Indesign

Feb 6, 2013 1:14 PM

Tags: #spot_colors #.eps #illustrator_6 #indesign_6

Hi all!  This is my first post.  I can usually figure out any issues I have from all the other questions and all of your wonderful knowledgable answers so thank you for that!

I work as a pre-flight tech. at a university in printing services.  I had an Indesign booklet that I preflighted and we plated/printed it but there's a problem in that something that was supposed to print didn't because it was actually a spot color instead of a process color.  It is an .eps logo that was placed into the Indesign document.  When I preflighted the job in Indesign it didn't come up with any spot colors and it looked fine, but after exporting it for imposition it changed to a spot color.  I have always been able to rely on the separations preview in Indesign to check for spot colors, but this doc. is previewing spot colors as process.  ??  I can open another Indesign doc. and place this same .eps file into it and it previews correctly as the spot color that it really is...but the same .eps file in this particular doc. previews as process.  It must be a setting in Indesign somewhere right?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to filewizard25

Sounds like the spot was converted to Process using Ink Manager from the Swatches panel. Are you working with a PDF or the native .indd file?

My bet would be that you have the native file and the .eps isn't respecting the ink manager setting. Re-saving the logo as .ai would be my first step, and exporting a PDF would probably work better than trying to RIP the .indd with the .eps in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to filewizard25

But does it now appear in the CMYK seps? The way I read your first post the problem was that it was supposed to be converted, but instead it output as spot and you didn't make the spot plate, so if it's outputting now as CMYK everything should be fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to filewizard25

Does this help?

Ink Manager.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to filewizard25

You don't seem to be understanding me, or I'm not understanding you.

In this particular .indd file the spot color appears to have been redefined to process. There are two ways that can happen. Either somebody redefined the swatch itself (double click on it and check to see if it still says it's a spot color) OR someone used Ink Manager to convert it to process. In either case ID's separations preview would no longer show a spot color for that swatch, and anything built using it should be moved to the process color plates according to the conversion values.

Your initial post made it sound like the logo did not appear AT ALL in the final output, which implies that the conversion was not respected and which would not surprise me in a .eps file. When you replace the .eps with the .ai you haven't changed the settings applied to the swatch (and remember, these are applied only in this particular file, so the logo should appear as a spot in a different file), but you ought to see the CMYK components in your RIPed seps and the logo should appear in the printed output.

Is your intent to create a spot plate for this logo, or to have it print as process?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to filewizard25

Let's clear up the workflow.

As I'm currently understanding things you've received a .indd file that has a placed .eps logo that nominally is black and spot red, but that shows no red plate in seps preview, and you export this file to .eps from ID to process in the RIP (VERY old school). Is that correct?

If it is, can you check the swatch definition, please, and tell us if the "spot" red in this file is actually defined as a spot color, or as I suspsect has been redefined (as distinct from converted using Ink Manager) as process.

Is your RIP capable of processing PDF?

If you replcae the .eps logo with the .ai version do you see the red components of the logo showing up as converted on the Magenta and Yellow plates?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to filewizard25

filewizard25 wrote:

Basically I thought I could count on the sep. prev. in Indesign to be accurate and it's sounding like it's not really accurate and that I'll have to check each individual file that is linked into Indesign. 

As I understand things .eps data is basically passed through unchanged when you export to eps from ID. I've just done a little test here to confirm this. I made a file in Illy that's jsut a rectangle filled with Pantone 187c and I saved it as both .ai and .eps and placed both in ID.

In ID I redefined the swatch to be Process and the seps preview shows no spot colors. I then exported to .eps and the .ai is process, as expected, but the .ps version of the rectangle has reverted to spot when viewing seps in Illustrator.

If I export to PDF instead of .eps, both versions are correctly converted to CMYK.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to filewizard25

WHY oh why are you distilling PDF instead of exporting?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to filewizard25

is the spot color in your swatch panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to filewizard25

Two suggestions. Try the export again, and if you're not comfortable with that don't allow .eps to be placed in the .indd files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to filewizard25

For what it's worth, I've been using ID for production since version 2.0 and in all those years I've never seen a knockout failure. I'm not disputing that you had a problem, but I wonder if it wasn't really user error and the red had been set to overprint (could have been done in ID, or perhaps in the original if imported art) and you failed to notice.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to MW Design

Mike, I think the problem is that the format of the placed logo is .eps and that ID cannot honor the conversion to CMYK when exporting to Postscript (and it doesn't seem to matter if the conversion is done drectly in the swatch definition or in the ink manager in my tests).  This is just a case of a really antiquted workflow breaking down, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to filewizard25

You'd be amazed at the number of problems that get cleared up by replacing placed .eps files with native formats. You should encourage your users to convert, if possible.

I think, you should keep in mind that this case is kind of special. Had the designer not converted the spot to process in ID, or had they used a native format, this would never have happened. How often do you see spot colors converted in the work that is submitted? And of those, what percentage do you think are in .eps files?

Knowing the source of the problem, you should probably make a habit of scanning the swatches panel for spot colors and the links panel for .eps files and make sure the two don't intersect.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ah. I see. I hadn't tried it until now. Seems like it ought to, though. ID must be doing a pass through.

Thanks, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to filewizard25

One possibility is to handle those problems always in Acrobat Pro with a appropriate preflight setting for converting spot colors to CMYK. Or using a plug-in for Acrobat Pro like the Callas pdfToolBox (also available as a stand-alone application).

In your situation, where you have to do Word or even PowerPoint files to convert to CMYK, investing in pdfToolBox will ease 99.9% of your troubles… There are special pre-defined workflow routes for Office files as well.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points