Skip navigation
bertchj
Currently Being Moderated

Frosted panel effect...

Feb 6, 2013 2:08 PM

Tags: #dynamic #panel #blur #frosted

First off, what I am trying to achieve is the following:

- I want to create a frosted panel/window .swf file in Flash that I can import into a Flash based panorama viewer.  An example of the panorama viewer: http://www.utah3d.net/utah-travel/bonneville-salt-flats/salt-flats-1.h tml

- Everything below the panel will be blurred, creating that frosted look.

Is there a way to do this?  The background image/panaorma will be changing, and can also be moved around in the viewer, so I can't simply take a static portion of the image and blur it.  I would need the frosted panel.swf to do the actual blurring effect, much like you could simply change the opacity of a layer and have anything under that layer be effected by the opacity without actually altering it.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 6, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to bertchj

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to bertchj

If you are using a closed source panorama viewer, you will be very limited in what you can actually achieve. If the developer hasn`t already made preparations for including such a gimmick, chance is you will almost for certain break the performance of that viewer by introducing obscure alphamasks or anything. If you would design such a system from the ground up, my bet would be to look in the direction of Pixel Bender

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 7, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to bertchj

oops, i didn't realize that was a photoshop file.  i thought the author was showing how to use the displacementmapfilter in flash to create that effect.

anyway, that is possible to do dynamically using the displacementmapfilter and mm's suggestion to use pixel bender would probably work, too.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 7, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to bertchj

you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...