Skip navigation
ej 5000
Currently Being Moderated

Missing Tabs Panel/Indesign CS6

Feb 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Hello.  I just upgraded from CS4 to CS6 and resumed working on a book, only to find that there is no Tabs panel to be found anywhere (see attached jpg image). It's usually right under Paragraph in the Type Menu. It's also not in the Windows/Type Menu.  I've been searching high and low around the program and on the internet and cannot find any clues.  The Tabs instrutional videos on YouTube clearly show CS6 with a Tabs panel available in its traditional spot. I know this is bizarre and it's about to make me freak out because it seems like it should be pretty basic and obvious.  Maybe it is and I'm missing a vital piece of info?  If you have any ideas i sure would like to hear them...

no-tabs-panel.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to ej 5000

I would start with deleting InDesign preferences.

Did you try using a new workspace (i.e, Essentials)

If that does not work make sure your update was incrementally correct, and that you have the latest update for InDesign.

Its been a while for me but I recall this happening but cannot remember the fix. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to 33 Steps

Restoring your preferences is indeed a good start.

This link will show you how to restore your InDesign preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to ej 5000

It sounds to me like the installation was imperfect. Does it show up if you press Cmd + Shift + T?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It would be faster just to uninstall InDesign CS6 and reinstall, as Peter suggests.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to ej 5000

Before the suggestions get made to re-install, a time consuming p.i.t.a. task for sure, do any users of InDesign 6 HAVE tabs in the drop down window?

Like ej5000 I do not have tabs in my drop down menus either.  Steve I've trashed and restored my prefs so many times my head spins. Some afternoons it is literally all I get done. LITERALLY.

ej I think you were ont to something here

Hmmm, nothing else is working.  This is so rediculous and it's taking up all my work day.  I feel like the only solution is to semi-retire CS6, go back to CS4 and only use CS6 for importing .docx documents and exporting ePubs after I've preped them in CS4.

Peter's suggestion is the only way I am able to view my tabs pane.

...press Cmd + Shift + T?

MUCH easier and more time efficient than re-installing or needlessly/ceaselessly/endlessly deleting prefs. Since Adobe is constanly monitoring my activity and issuing updates this should get fixed on Adobe's end IMHO.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to Doctor D Pickle

Doctor D Pickle wrote:

Before the suggestions get made to re-install, a time consuming p.i.t.a. task for sure, do any users of InDesign 6 HAVE tabs in the drop down window?

Absolutely, and you should too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points