Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

Feb 6, 2013 5:34 PM

I'm using LR 4.3 on Windows 7, 64-bit.  It seems to work pretty well in Library and Develop and such, so I don't think there's a performance issue...

I have no idea what setting I"ve goofed up, but when I do a synchronize on a folder (may be 500 files or as few as 20), new files don't show up to be imported.  I can look at the folder and SEE the file.  It's there.  But, it's NOT in the library grid.  Synchronize does NOT see the file.  If I do an import (separate from Synchronize), the file usually shows up.  The file I can't see in the library shows up in the list with a checkmark, so it KNOWS it's not been imported.  At that point, I can go ahead and tell LR to add them and it's fine.

ALSO, when I add a keyword to a new file, it doesn't show up when I open the files for that keyword.  For example, I take a .dng file edit it, then finish in Photoshop.  Saving the file in Photoshop gets it back to LR.  I can see it in the files in Develop.  I can see it in the Library grid.  But it ISN'T in the keyword set.  Even if I ADD the keyword AGAIN, it STILL doesn't show up in the files for that keyword.  If I shut down Lightroom and restart it, THEN the file shows up in the keyword set.  Is there some "auto-update" setting I've messed up?  Something else?  This isn't another bizarre video driver thing is it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

"Poltergeist" is correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

I'm running Lr 4.3 on Win 7 64-bit.

I just tested this. Did as you said. Opened a TIFF from Lr into CS5, did a <save as>

a) as Tiff with a new file name,

b) as PSD with a new file name.

Did <Synchronize folder> on return to Lr. It indicated correctly that there are two new files and imported them.

So, there must be a "Poltergeist" on your system. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

davepinminn wrote:

ALSO, when I add a keyword to a new file, it doesn't show up when I open the files for that keyword.  For example, I take a .dng file edit it, then finish in Photoshop.  Saving the file in Photoshop gets it back to LR.  I can see it in the files in Develop.  I can see it in the Library grid.  But it ISN'T in the keyword set.  Even if I ADD the keyword AGAIN, it STILL doesn't show up in the files for that keyword.  If I shut down Lightroom and restart it, THEN the file shows up in the keyword set.  Is there some "auto-update" setting I've messed up?  Something else?  This isn't another bizarre video driver thing is it?

Yes, there is something going on here.

I tried this procedure with TIFFs, DNGs, and PSDs. Opened them from Lr via <Edit original> in CS5. Added a keyword in CS5 and saved the file (not "save as"!).

I could reproduce the error that the keyword created in CS5 doesn't show in Lr with PSDs only. And, this is the strange thing, it happens only once in a while, not every time.

And further, when the keyword did not show up, I got the "metadata conflict" warning, and - upon doing a <read metadata from file> - the keyword showed up.

This is a strange result, not only because of its intermittant happening but also for this reason: CS5 writes the keyword in the (header of the) file. Normally, I would expect that (a) Lr doesn't display the keyword without doing a <read metadata from file>, and (b) that the "metadata conflict" warning appears.

I don't have an explanation.

I would suggest to you that you don't add keywords in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to web-weaver

Further to my previous post:

With DNGs the situation is a bit different, since Photoshop doesn't save as DNG. At least my CS5 doesn't.

So when opening a DNG in Photoshop, adding a keyword and >save>, the keyword is added to the PSD, and it shows in Lr for the PSD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points