Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hate Software that 'Goes Away' Need to change to Premiere?

Feb 6, 2013 5:45 PM

I have cut my teeth on Apple's Final Cut Express and thought it would be fine for my simpler needs for the rest of my career life, but now, Final Cut Express has been 'ended' by Apple and the X version of Final Cut Pro sounds like a mess that not many are happy with. I think it's time to change as my old version (4.01) of Final Cut works with Mounttain Lion but I doubt if it will continue to work with future upgrades to the Mac OS. Enter Premiere, which has been around for years and promises to be around for years more. I think I will just add it to my Suite of Adobe products I already use and be done with it. My questions are simply: How is it to work with? Is the community here good to help me make the changeover? That is about all, oh, I would like a recommendation of a good printed reference manual that covers the product in clean academic style and provides a good table of contents reference to all known features. That's about it, Any comments for me, as a newbie to this product, are very welcome.

TIA,

Ken

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

If you've been happy with FCE, I see no reason why you wouldn't like FCPX, after you relearned their new approach to NLE.  A lot of people like it very much.  Google "Oliver Peters."  You can't beat the price, and Apple will likely be supporting it for years to come.  It will likely only get better, and at a faster clip than Pr is likely to get.  There have been, what, six updates with new features to FCPX in the time that Adobe has done three for Pr, and they're just bug fixes... no new features.

That said, I make my living off Pr and Ae, and I'm very happy with it, and can't imagine working on FCPX and Motion.

Apple Motion isn't a design tool the way Ae is.  If you are OK working off templates, then FCPX and Motion may be all you ever need, at a third or less of the cost.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

>newbie to this product

See the tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

I don't work for Adobe, so I have no inside information on any future plans (and, if I was an employee and wanted to keep my job, I would not discuss future plans)

But... a public declaration of intent...

Adobe Anywhere http://forums.adobe.com/message/4682127

-Announced September 2012 for "future versions" of Premiere Pro

-NO information on pricing or availability date

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

That's about it, Any comments for me, as a newbie to this product, are very welcome.

Heres my 2 cents worth. Get the the trial version. of CS6 ..spend a solid amount of time with it and see if you ..it ...and your system all get along together.

Otherwise...stick with what you know.  It stil works doesnt it?

My advice is customised to you as a Mac user. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points