Skip navigation
seaspray07
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting AVCHD for BluRay in Premiere Pro CS6

Feb 6, 2013 11:50 PM

Hello,

I have AVCHD files taken with a HD camcorder at its highest quality settings (HD FX - 1920 x 1080 - 24Mbps - H.264AVC).  I am looking for the most appropritate workflow to edit these in Premiere Pro CS6 and burn them over to BluRay using Encore, while maintaining the original quality of the AVCHD files.  Currently when I import the files into Premiere Pro, and preview the video clips in the sequence, the video appears as it does in the original files.  In PrPro, the properties of the AVCHD files indicate that they are at 29.97 fps, 1920 x 1080, with square pixels (1.0).  However, after exporting the sequence from Premiere Pro (via Media Encorder) to Encore, the video appears to have some jagged edges with some loss of video quality, and I would like to resolve this issue.  For the export settings I am using the H.264 BluRay default settings.  Please provide details on the correct/most appropriate settings that should be used to export the PrPro sequence to Encore with the above mentioned AVCHD files to Encore for recording onto BluRay while maintaining the original file quality.  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 12:29 AM   in reply to seaspray07

while maintaining the original file quality.

Cant happen.

Use  (view) the original file if you want original file quality.

Any export to DVD or Bluray DVD involves transcode and a variation from original "quality".

Your issue is "jagged edges" and you need a solution to that.

Provide your Sequence Settings and your Export Settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to shooternz

For all practical purposes, I agree. But Encore has a "pass through" option to put avchd on disk, but it must be bluray compliant. I have never used it. But it does not require transcoding:

See "AVCHD Passthrough" on this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/building-finished-project.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

A  passing thought from a relative newcomer to Pr Pro CS6 and Encore - Are you judging the video quality on the monitor within Encore? My experience is that the video monitor within Encore is only for setting up menus and not for quality checking. I am currently working with SD and DVD (PAL) and find the Encore monitor of poor quality and with jagged edges. It is fine when the DVD, or in your case BluRay, is viewed after burning.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to seaspray07

Your process is the correct one.  Don't use the viewer in Encore to judge the quality.  Actually burn a Blu-ray and watch that on an HDTV.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Seaspray -  I will let the experts correct any bad advice here and perhaps I am adding nothing you already don't know or are doing.   I recently went through the same exercise being new to PP CS6.   Is that footage interlaced?    I first drug a sample clip to the New Item button to create a matching sequence.    I had some issues when I wasn't being careful about sequence settings matching, particularly putting interlaced in a progressive sequence.   When I was ready to export, I chose the H.264 Blu-ray preset closest to my source footage.   I made sure the key video characteristics matched - frame size, frame rate, progressive vs. interlaced, if the latter upper or lower, PAR, etc. etc.   In some cases I tweaked VBR vs. CBR and bit rates.    I then produced separate .m2v and .wav video/audio files.   Then I imported those files as assets into Encore.   You should then see Encore tell you it does not need to encode the video or audio after analysis.    Unfortunatley, this process does require one encoding, but I don't believe there is anyway around that matter as PP CS6 apparently does not support "smart rendering".   However, I think with just one encoding you are not going to see your footage noticeably degraded.    Agreed, none of the monitors in PP or Encore should be used to judge quality.   I also noticed major differences playing back files on my PC with various media players vs. PS3 + big TV.  

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points