Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How would your workflow order go from PP to AE to Speedgrade

Feb 7, 2013 8:19 AM

Hey guys, wanted to see how your workflow would go under these circumstances...

1- Editing something in PP

2- then needing to add special effects like a muzzle flash and bullet impacts in AE

3- then needed to add sound FX for the gunfire and newly created VFX in PP

4- Finally being fine tuned color graded in Speedgrade.

How would your workflow go to accomplish something like this? I understand you could just render it every step of the process, but that doesn't seem efficient and quality could get bad (?) I also know you can use DL to connect it from PP to AE, but would you be able to do this for step 3 of the process without rendering? Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to Jerambis00

I'd use Dynamic Link to get the AE work done, then skip SpeedGrade and just do the CC in Premiere Pro.  You can accomplish a lot with Adjustment Layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Jerambis00

See this discussion on Dynamic Link workflow between PrPro and AE. Pay attention to Todd's comments.

Regard to PrPro - SpeedGrade see this help section on general workflow and that one on reusing looks. Can't comment this on however, 'cos I'm still on CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Jerambis00

So you would use dynamic link to take the Edited PP into AE, then add the effects

No, no.  I'd do it for each clip individually that required effects.  Right click>Replace with After Effects Composition.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

Still confused.

Edit your project in PP as normal.  For any clips that need effects in AE, right click on that clip in the sequence and choose Replace with After Effects Composition.  This loads that clip in AE and keeps it Dynamically Linked to PP.  So any changes you make to that clip in AE show up automatically in PP, no export or intermediate files necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

In real life relying on Dynamic Link sometimes is not wise. Once you gain some experience, you may probably want to read the discussion, link to which I submitted...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

If you read, you would notice the answer from the very beginning: it's even entitled 'PPro with AE dynamic links slow to render'...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

Incorrect. The render time WILL BE affected: you can save on it dramatically, depending on AE composition(s) complexity.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

If you start from PrPro, the best way is to select a clip or a group of clips in PrPro timeline, right-click and chose 'Replace with AE Composition'. Bear in mind, you should take care of handles. See e.g. this workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Jerambis00

Correct answer is to plan your workflow. If your PrPro project contains just several simple AE compositions, you don't have to render digital intermediates. If those comps are complex ones, render DIs out of AE and replace dynamically linked comps with them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points