Skip navigation
cat litter girl
Currently Being Moderated

Iost files from bridge CS2

Feb 7, 2013 8:42 AM

Tags: #bridge #cs6

I recently upgraded from CS2 to CS6. Foolishly I deleted CS2 Bridge before transferring my images into a safe folder.

Are they hiding in a folder somewhere?

I feel so dumb!

Many thanks!

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 7, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to cat litter girl

Are they hiding in a folder somewhere?

Bridge does not hide files in folders but acts like a browser that reflects the contents of the folders on your system (e.g. pictures) So deleting the application Bridge should not delete the files on your system, only the reference cache files for previews and thumbs.

I can't recall much about Bridge version 1 that came with CS2 anymore but Bridge CS6 has a different cache structure and a lot of other options compared to the CS2 edition.

It is preferred that you also make some study on how to use Bridge. Try Adobe TV for a start (though this is about CS5 but there have been no dramatic changes to the option since CS4):

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-adobe-bridge-cs5/what-is-adobe-bridge- cs5-/

And maybe you can also tell us what computer and operation system you are using

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to cat litter girl

As I understand it iPhoto puts the images in a hidden folder, but Bridge puts them where you direct it to.  It reads the structure the OS sets up.  Can you find the photos in Finder?

This is not right "When I used to use Bridge CS2, I did notice that when puttingmy images into Bridge, they would disappear from my desktop or file."  Should not do this.  Do you use iPhoto?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I just tested this in Windows 7:

if you drag files from outside Bridge (e.g a Windows folder or Desktop) into a folder in the Content panel, it is treated just like any other Explorer file operation. In other words, files on the same volume will be moved to the new location, and files from a different volume will be copied.

So, the OP may have relocated their images to which ever folder was visible in the Content panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to cat litter girl

Unless deleted they will be there somewhere.

Not a Mac guy but would think you can use Finder for a search.  Unless you know the exact name of the lost file make the parameters loose.  Once you find a file find out what folder it was file under.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 7, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to Curt Y

As Yammer P and Curt already stated that if you drag files in Bridge they move to the folder you have Bridge pointed at. If you did only uninstall Bridge (instead of deleting it which is usually a bad idea for most applications, always try an uninstall if possible) then there must be a folder on your system containing those files.

It might not be restricted to your user account, if you had bridge pointed to another location on your system then the files will be there.

You can try Spotlight for a first go using only the extension or if you no a file name try that.

But you also might to try the freeware application Easy Find that is capable of doing a far better job in finding. As source select your computer instead of user account because then your whole system will be part of this file, including package content. But Bridge does not use a package content like iPhoto and Aperture do.

Here is link for Easy Find:

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

But another question, your search means you don't have a back up of your important files?

A Mac can act as a very safe machine but in general it is not a question if a hard disk fails but rather when. And while computers are acting also pretty straight forward, us people don't. So always have a proper back up system to avoid losing your important files.

Might not help you now but most of us have also learned this the hard way...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points