Recently my InDesign (CS6 running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 8gb ram) has become almost totally unresponsive when I go to open and edit a file off the company network. Our techs have no idea what is going on and are considering having to re-build my profile as a last resort as we have tried everything else.
A bit more of a descriptoin of the problem: When I go to edit an InDesign file off the server it first takes longer than normal to load but eventually does. You can scroll up and down the pages, move and resize boxes, place new pictures but as soon as you try to do anything text based (edit new text or make a new text box) the whole program freezes to the point you have to task manager out and kill it. It is not a corupt file because if I copy the file directory with all links over on to my computers local hard disk the file works totally fine it is only when editing over the network and when edouble clicking to edit text.
What we have done to try and fix the problem:
Our techs have tried editing my profile registry to no avail and we are all compleatly at a loss to what is going on. There are several other instances of the program across the company (mainly versions 5.5 and one other 6) and they all work fine editing files straight off the network.
Anyone have any idea what it could be, such a specific problem being only when it is editing text based areas? The techs dont want to have to re-build my profile as it is a lot of back end work to do to be able to re-instate it straight away.
Many thanks in advance for any insights into the issue
No. If I copy the file on to my local machine I can edit it fine it is just across the network. We have now reinstaled everything, Windows, InDesisgn and rebuilt my profile and it is stil not working. Really really odd
All other network functions work pefectly. Thanks for the suggestion but I don't see how defective cableing could cause such a specific text editing problem within software. I can hapily edit Word documents and excel documents off the network drives.
Some of your Fonts that you're using in the document might be installed on the network which is inaccessible when you're trying to edit the document. Install the fonts that you want to use in the document locally when you want the document to be edited off the network. I'm assuming that your company uses Font management program to dynamically activate / deactivate fonts when you're editing a document located over the network.
Try renaming the entire InDesign folders in your user profile (there's one under Local and one under Roaming), then restart ID. They should get replaced with new versions, and maybe things will behave. It would have been helpful to know that other user identities on the same machine don't have a problem as this completely rules out network, or cabling, issues.
Presuming your profile is stored locally, and not on the network, the paths in the repalce your prefs link above should take you to the folders (they point to files in the folders). If your user data is on the network, you'll have to ask IT to help you locate your local and roaming folders. There should be an Adobe folder in each of those, and an InDesign folder in each Adobe folder.
You have to unhide the Folder AppData by going to Organize menu of the window and then choose Folder and Search Options. Then click on View tab and choose Show hidden files and folders. Then come back to those locations I mentioned earlier and then rename the InDesign folder.
So we have finally fixed the issue and are currently cracking out the bubbly!
It turned out to be the network path shotcut I was using to access the shared drive where I was editing the files from. I work for a restaurant so we have a shared drive where each site can access their files, this is where the food menu files reside and I had created a shortcut that, although accessed the correct area did it using a path which had a double backslash in it.
The true path for the shared drive is \\hm\mydocs\restaurant\menufile.indd and this is the shortcut I was using to open the file up from. For all other files like Word, Excel, even other Adobe programs like PSE10, and Lightroom it seems to work fine. For some reason InDesign does not like this path with the double backslash in. As soon as I changed the shortcut path to just m:\ (the letter of the shared drive on the network) everything was working again and we can all sleep, it was driving us mental. Re-installed windows, InDesign created a new network user profile the works.
I hope this may help someone else in a similar situation in the future
Europe, Middle East and Africa