Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign becomes unresponsive when editing text off the network. Techs are flummoxed!

Feb 7, 2013 8:56 AM

Recently my InDesign (CS6 running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 8gb ram) has become almost totally unresponsive when I go to open and edit a file off the company network. Our techs have no idea what is going on and are considering having to re-build my profile as a last resort as we have tried everything else.

A bit more of a descriptoin of the problem: When I go to edit an InDesign file off the server it first takes longer than normal to load but eventually does. You can scroll up and down the pages, move and resize boxes, place new pictures but as soon as you try to do anything text based (edit new text or make a new text box) the whole program freezes to the point you have to task manager out and kill it. It is not a corupt file because if I copy the file directory with all links over on to my computers local hard disk the file works totally fine it is only when editing over the network and when edouble clicking to edit text.

What we have done to try and fix the problem:

• Reinstal InDesign - No effect
  • Cleared the preferences (shift + ctrl + alt + windows key on InDesign startup) - No effect

Our techs have tried editing my profile registry to no avail and we are all compleatly at a loss to what is going on. There are several other instances of the program across the company (mainly versions 5.5 and one other 6) and they all work fine editing files straight off the network.

Anyone have any idea what it could be, such a specific problem being only when it is editing text based areas? The techs dont want to have to re-build my profile as it is a lot of back end work to do to be able to re-instate it straight away.

Many thanks in advance for any insights into the issue

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Do you see the same lag if you copy the file to your machine instead of editing across the network?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Have you tried replacing the cabling at your machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

It might not help, but it's easy to check.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Is this a gigabit network?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

tobyhawksmoor wrote:

It only happens when logged in as me. If I log in as another person on the same machine and use InDesign it works fine

Try logging back in as yourself, then see Replace Your Preferences and Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup for a list of additional files to try deleting.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Some of your Fonts that you're using in the document might be installed on the network which is inaccessible when you're trying to edit the document. Install the fonts that you want to use in the document locally when you want the document to be edited off the network. I'm assuming that your company uses Font management program to dynamically activate / deactivate fonts when you're editing a document located over the network.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Try renaming the entire InDesign folders in your user profile (there's one under Local and one under Roaming), then restart ID. They should get replaced with new versions, and maybe things will behave. It would have been helpful to know that other user identities on the same machine don't have a problem as this completely rules out network, or cabling, issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

I was wondering if there is an illegal character in your user profile name. Can you post your user profile name here exactly as it is on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Presuming your profile is stored locally, and not on the network, the paths in the repalce your prefs link above should take you to the folders (they point to files in the folders). If your user data is on the network, you'll have to ask IT to help you locate your local and roaming folders. There should be an Adobe folder in each of those, and an InDesign folder in each Adobe folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

C:\Users\toby\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\

C:\Users\toby\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

tobyhawksmoor wrote:

Where would I find these Peter?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

They are hidden by default. You need to show hidden and system files/folders in Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

You have to unhide the Folder AppData by going to Organize menu of the window and then choose Folder and Search Options. Then click on View tab and choose Show hidden files and folders. Then come back to those locations I mentioned earlier and then rename the InDesign folder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points