Skip navigation
BellyBuckle
Currently Being Moderated

Can't make a 1 1/4" bleed on one side of document...

Feb 7, 2013 10:49 AM

Hey everyone.

I'm having difficulties customizing my bleed margin in Illustrator CS4.

I'm doing a book cover design and my client asked that there be a 1/8" bleed all around except for the left side, which they need to be 1 1/4" to accomodate a spine.

Problem is that Illustrator won't let me!  It says that the numeric value has to be between 0 and 1 only.  Isn't there a workaround??

Thanks,

B.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to BellyBuckle

As far as I have been able to find, Illustrator maxes out their bleed at 1". My "workaround" is usually to switch to InDesign (which can handle bleeds up to 6") or build the files at a 50% scale (and direct my printer to adjust in their RIP). Or you could do it the old-school way and let out your artboard to the bleed size + crops and manually create crop marks.

If you do find a real workaround, I'd love to know what it is as well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to BellyBuckle

Try to get a publisher's template to your book's size.  A template will be prepared "the old-school way" that includes end sleeves, a back cover, spine, and cover.  There are slight differences in hard cover vs. soft cover versions.  So, either way, you should be planning for a cover, spine, and back cover at a minimum.  So, even in InDesign, there is no 1.25" bleed necessary because the panel will be built into the file + whatever bleed the publisher requires ( usually 1/8" ).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points