Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does the source monitor keep a history of clips?

Feb 7, 2013 11:35 AM

I'm coming to Premiere from a background in FCP7.  I find it strange that Premiere's source monitor keeps a history of all the clips you've previously loaded.  Why does it do this, and is there any way to disable it?  I'm used to FCP, where loading a new clip completely wipes out whatever was in the source monitor before. 

The reason I noticed this is when working with multi-cam sequences.  Example:  I play a multi-clip sequence in the source monitor.  Later, I add a new angle to it.  Next time I play it in the source monitor, the new angle isn't there.  I must 'close' and re-open it in the source monitor to see the change.  This is disturbing, especially since it doesn't even give a warning that "what you are watching does not accurately reflect the timeline"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

It's not so much keeping a history, the clips are still loaded.  Clip don't leave the Source Monitor until you close them or shut down PP.

The purpose is that you can scroll through them with keyboard shortcuts.  It's very efficient to load up a bunch of clips at one, working through them as needed.

There's not much you can do with a multicam clip in the Source Monitor.  The normal work flow is to open them in the Multicam Window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

Actually, in FCP the list of recent clips is in a pop up menu, they can be loaded in all at once. Avid has a similar function. Premiere Pro goes one better by allowing you to cycle through them with next and previous command or go straight to first and last clips. You can Close All clips, but probably not the exact way you want.

Feel free to make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Here's a screen shot of the options you can create keyboard shortcuts for:

Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 5.18.26 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points