Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Create text inside a path or shape in Photoshop CS6?

Feb 7, 2013 11:56 AM

Tags: #photoshop #text #path #cs6 #shape

Is there a new way to fill a shape or path with text in CS6.

When I create the path I can put my text tool "over" the path & my cursor switches to a curved line through the cursor, but when I place the cursor "inside" the path it just goes back to regular cursor & if I click inside it just starts a new (regular) text layer.

In older versions as soon as I placed my text cursor inside the path it would switch to the text cursor inside parenthesis. And thus type inside the path. That doesn't happen anymore.

Is there a new way to do this?

Thanks

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 7, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to Ptauly

In CS6 when I put the text tool inside a path the cursor now turns into a Text I beam inside a dotted circle  with arrowhead and any text typed tries to stay within the path but like other releases of Photoshop its not perfect.  Adobe  has changed many of Photoshop cursors in CS6.  Adobe does not seem to know when to leave thing that work alone they rather break things these day IMO.  CS6 is by far the buggiest version of Photoshop ever.  Is your Path a closed one ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to Ptauly

Ptauly wrote:

Just figured it out. You apparently have to create a "shape" layer first.

That's strange because I don't find it necessary to create a Shape layer in CS6, and I don't think JJ needs to create a Shape.

I can create a closed path, Work Path for example, position Type Tool pointer inside path to see the dotted circle pointer, click on canvas then start typing.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 8, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to conroy

I with conroy no need for me to create a shape layer. I can use the pen tool or shape tools and just create a closed path then use the text tool with the path active.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to Ptauly

I had the same experience as Ptauty. Thanks for this thread.

I find that, within the Shape Tool with Paths option selected, any shape can be typed inside except a closed path created with the line shape. For some reason I can't get the "type inside path" icon (I-beam), though I can type on the path.

If I need an irregular shape, I must use the Freeform Pen tool to create a closed path.

Hope this helps someone else.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points