Skip navigation
johnmaccallum
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator crashes when dragging

Feb 7, 2013 12:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm running Illustrator CS6 (16.2.0) on Mac OS X 10.8.2 and Illustrator crashes as soon as I attempt to drag anything.  The crash is reproducable if I do the following:

1.  Launch Illustrator and create a new document

2.  Create a text field, line, or shape

3.  Select the Arrow tool

4.  Drag the element I just created

Illustrator will crash as soon as I try to drag.  I can move the element using the arrow keys, but the crash happens when I try to drag with the mouse.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is there a workaround? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to johnmaccallum

I've not seen that so far. It could be a very specific issue.

I'd recommend to post a crash protocol to Adobe, if that is an option for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to johnmaccallum

I had the exact same problem tonight, came to the same conclusion, except no kernel panic. Just wasted time on the restart. It all started working again once I restarted the computer.

I have been using illustrator for 3 solid days 10+ hours each day, creating hundreds of images, I'm thinking that maybe it was just too much for it.

I am glad it's working again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to johnmaccallum

It happens on windows too. Also while dragging. Not on every drag, but many times in a day.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 5:34 AM   in reply to johnmaccallum

I have a similar issue--I get a kernel panic and the whole machine restarts, but I don't think it's when I'm dragging. I have not had this issue with CS6, just AI CS5.1. It's happened about 4 times now. At first I thought maybe it was a corrupted font, but Suitcase isn't finding anything offensive, and the crash report says it's something with Illustrator. Any suggestions? I'm using a new MBP (had it about 3 weeks), 2.3ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB of Apple-installed RAM, with Mavericks v10.9.1. I don't know how to get into the kernel panic reports, otherwise I'd post that info.

Should probably start a new thread...

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points