Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Perspective Typography

Feb 7, 2013 12:31 PM

I'm new to the perspective tool in Illustrator and am trying to accomplish flat text that is in perspective to a shape (square). I've attached what I have so far which I accomplished using the perspective tool. I want the text to appear flat as if the word "Hello" was printed on the surface of the square. Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

image.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Grant

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to gdnovey

That looks more like an isometric drawing. Create the text and use the Shear tool to distort it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to gdnovey

An easy way to accomplish this would be to use Illustrator's 3D effects.

Begin by creating the text and drag it onto the symbols panel to turn it into a symbol. You can delete it from the artboard once it is stored in the symbols panel.

Next, draw a simple rectangle or square with the shape tool. Draw it flat on, don't create it at any kind of angle.

With your rectangle selected, Choose EFFECTS>3D>Extrude and Bevel and extrude it to the depth you want and rotate it to the angle you want.

In the 3D dialog box click the "Map Art" button and map the text symbol that you created earlier onto the top surface of your rectangle.

The benefit of doing it this way is that you can change the angle at any time (with the 3D dialog box) and the text will maintain its appearance as being painted on the surface.

Hope that helps,

Michael

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to gdnovey

That looks more like an isometric drawing.

It's not isometric.

...what I have so far which I accomplished using the perspective tool...

Since you did it using the Perspective Grid, do it the same way, but attach the text object to the horizontal plane instead of to one of the vertical planes.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to gdnovey

Rotate text before attaching to plane.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status