Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Type disappears after scaling

Feb 7, 2013 1:37 PM

I am an occasional user of Fireworks so there's a good chance I'm just overlooking a checkbox somewhere.

I'm working on a series of icons and am resizing them from large to small. The icon contains two text frames with single characters in each frame. When I resize the image the graphic objects scale OK but the type disappears. On inspection (selecting the type layers in the layers panel) the text frames show up but are shortened to the point where the text is overset. The frames have handles but they are not selectable nor can the frames be resized or edited. There's a large red box with a crosshair in the lower right corner of the frame, but that also is not selectable and clicking it has no effect.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

SB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to sboerner2

This sounds like odd behavior for text. What method exactly are you using to scale your icons?

Your post is well-written, but it's still hard to picture. Could you include a screenshot of the document and interface, including the Layers panel—with at least one of the text layers visible (and selected on the canvas)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to sboerner2

Thanks, those screenshots are helpful. I was kind of expecting to see the Properties panel for one of the text objects, too—there may or may not be clues there.

Like you said, though, it may just be a glitch.

I was initially puzzled by the red overset text symbol, because it so rarely occurs in Fireworks. Text boxes are fluid in length and resize freely to accomodate the content. But I guess overset text is more common when working at large font sizes and/or with individual letters, as a letter shape wider than the text frame can't "reflow". In those cases, you should be able to click on the overset text symbol (or at the top of the frame) and drag the frame wider to reveal the missing text.

I did notice that manually adjusting the text box for a single large letter shape—prior to resizing and the overset text issue—can have an impact on the size of the text box and the positioning of the letter within that box; I don't know if that might be relevant in any way.

The only idea I can suggest is to convert the text to outlines before resizing, using Text > Convert to Paths. Particularly at large text sizes, this command should produce the same rendering and might make the shapes easier to work with. And in this case, it doesn't seem that you're working with the letters as text, per se, more as shapes or logo iconography.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to sboerner2

I'm still convinced that Text > Convert to Paths offers the simplest solution here—at least for the example you provided.

As you mentioned, I see that text size does not change when using Modify > Canvas > Image Size, which is a bit surprising. Have you tried any other transformation methods? Many other scaling/transforming methods do result in a change in font size (which may or may not circumvent this problem).

If text anti-aliasing is paramount—and other transformation methods fail—I'm wondering if you could resize the text manually in the Properties panel instead. Use a little bit of percentage math to determine the correct font size.

A few other left-field ideas:

• Have you tried enlarging the text frame a bit, by dragging its top right handle, prior to resizing? (This may throw off the alignment of the text in the design, so you'd have to reposition afterwards.)
    • What about defining the text object as a symbol? Symbols offer resizing advantages for bitmaps; perhaps they could help with this issue somehow. If it works, this might be a very simple fix to add to your workflow.

You can always report this bug to Adobe; however, there's been very little evidence lately that Adobe is actively supporting Fireworks anymore, so… whether your report would have an effect is unclear.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Hey, here's one more idea for you: Have a look at the Text commands included under Commands > Text. Something like "Set Width" or "Toggle Fixed Width" might be able to snap the text frame out of its frozen, uneditable state after resizing. Give these a try and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to sboerner2

Sorry I didn't think to bring this up earlier, but if you're using Photoshop's Save for Web, I think you can achieve the same results using File > Image Preview in Fireworks. Certainly, you can do on-the-fly resizing there.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'm pretty optimistic about my last suggestion involving the Text Commands (and if not that, then perhaps the symbol workaround). And then there are the other transformation methods…

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points