Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS6 - update Links

Feb 7, 2013 2:19 PM

Hello

to make the story short,  i have started building my web site with dreamweaver cs6.

i create the first page of my web site then I saved the file alot of time to make my contact, product .....

know i started to link the "home, contact button and everything else"

but its not updating on all of the pages,

isn't it suppose to update on all the web page?

maybe i am doing something wrong .

any help will be appriciated

thanks alot

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to yerem_k

Unless your pages are created from a Template page (.dwt extension), then you will ahve to go into each individual page and manually correct the links to point to the correct resource. A Template page allows you to create a "template" that the rest of the pages of your site will be based off of. Within the template you define areas for page content (the areas where each page will be different). Then you start creating pages based off the template. Whenever you make a change to theTemplate, all the child pages based off that template will get updated (except the areas you defined for page content). When editing pages based off a template, you'll notice grayed-out areas of code - this is code that's locked down by the template and can't be edited within the child pages.

But before using Dreamweaver Template pages, please review the Dreamweaver help files and read about them - we have many people come to these forums who have gotten very lost trying to use templates so please do read and learn about them before using them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to bemdesign

Here is a good place to start on the Adobe site regarding the use of templates...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822 510a94ae8d65-7abea.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to yerem_k

That's why it isn't updating then. The function you describe in your original post is one of the Templates feature in DW.

DW only knows to update pages made from a template when you change the template.dwt file that is attached to them. Otherwise changing links on one page will have no connection to the same links on another page. DW would have no way to know they are connected unless you use the Templates feature.

Unless you meant something else in your original post.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to yerem_k

If you put your menu into a server-side include file, you can have one menu that populates to all your web pages.

http://www.smartwebby.com/web_site_design/server_side_includes.asp

SSIs are a huge time saver and very efficient because you only need to edit & upload one file instead of every page in your site.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points