Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Proper way to deal with superwhites

Feb 7, 2013 2:33 PM

Footage from some cameras, such as Sony FS700, has levels all the way to 109%.  I'm just looking for a definitive answer on the correct way to deal with this in Premiere.  I can see that turning on the levels filter just clips everything at 100%, so that's no good.  If I use the Fast Color Corrector to set output white level to 235, it seems to do what I want.  Would it be correct to apply that filter to ALL footage shot with superwhites at the get go?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

Curves , Levels...Da Vinci Resolve.....

If I use the Fast Color Corrector to set output white level to 235, it seems to do what I want. Would it be correct to apply that filter to ALL footage shot with superwhites at the get go?

Why not ....but when is the "get go"?

You dont want to be editing with footage that may need rendering as yo do so.

But adjusting levels  first step  before you grade and CC is excellent workflow. (essential actually)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

If really grading in a project (e.g. in Resolve), then I think it might be best to apply that level adjustment in Resolve AFTER the grade, to retain as much highlight information as possible.

No.

Common wisdom and practice is the colorist sets levels first and in this order.

Blacks > Highlights> Gammas

(No matter what applicaton one uses for the task)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to shooternz

What Shooternz said. Black level, then white level, then contrast, then color casts, ...

Get a copy of Van Hurkman's Color Correction Handbook. Tells you everything you need to know and a lot more you didn't know to ask about, and it's exceedingly readable.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

You might be applying 8 bit effects in the wrong order. See this article for more info: http://www.creativeimpatience.com/practices-applying-8-bit-effects-pre miere-pro/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points