Skip navigation
Sculp1n
Currently Being Moderated

Text Free Transform Sizing Issues

Feb 7, 2013 3:55 PM

First off I'm using Photoshop CS6 on a 2010 iMac.

Here is the problem, for example I open a blank file and type "ABC" in any font at at size (but for sake of ease lets say 72 pts in Myriad Pro). I then do a free transform (while holding shift to keep the size correctly scaled) and either enlarg or shrink the text. At that point if I try and change the text point size through the Character panel back to 72 points it sizes to the original size I set the free transform too, or lets say I try to increse the size to 100 pts, it gives me some random size that is not 100 pts. So regarless if I enter the size to 72 points, hit enter, the text will no longer be 72 points.

I run into this issue often because I like to eyeball my text sizes when I'm doing a project and Free Transform is perfect for this. But if I have several text blocks of the same size and I change the size of one and need to match the others to the new size, this issue make matching them very difficult and frustrating.

I know I can fix it by clicking "Character Reset" via the Character panel and then choose my desired font size but that takes time and I don't understand why photoshop wouldn't just give me the font size I choose regarless of free transform or not. Is there a way around this? Is this some setting of Photoshop that I can simply bypas, or is it a glitch with the new CS6 (I do not remember having this issue with CS5)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 7, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Sculp1n

Seems like a bug I recall seeing reported against earlier versions of Photoshop CS6, though as I recall several text layers were being sized together last I heard of point size issues.

Are you up to date with the latest Photoshop release?  That would be (I think) 13.0.4 if you have a perpetual license or 13.1.2 if you have a cloud subscription.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Seems like a bug I recall seeing reported against earlier versions of Photoshop CS6, though as I recall several text layers were being sized together last I heard of point size issues.

I get the point size problem happening only to Type layers which have previously been scale-transformed, and it only happens when multiple layers are simultaneously having their point size edited. That's in 13.0.1 on a Mac.

@Sculp1n: You are correct that there was no such problem in CS5. So it's still in the most recent CS6, a year after the beta days?!?!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 8, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to conroy

Conroy, as I recall you avoided upgrading to 13.0.4 because it became more strict about having 512 MB of VRAM and disabled your 3D capabilities, right?  Did you test for this bug specifically being fixed in 13.0.4 or 13.1.2?  Just curious.  I'm on 13.0.1 myself as I have a PC and perpetual license.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Conroy, as I recall you avoided upgrading to 13.0.4 because it became more strict about having 512 MB of VRAM and disabled your 3D capabilities, right?

No, it's the Cloud 13.1.x series that enforce 512 MB VRAM minimum for 3D.

I've not installed 13.0.4 because Adobe will not tell us what it'll change relative to 13.0.1, other than provide Retina support which I don't need. I understand that 13.0.4 fixes bugs introduced by 13.0.2 and/or 13.0.3 which is irrelevant to me since I've never gone beyond 13.0.1.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to conroy

As usual, the only real way to tell what's better would be to install it and try it.

I know that Adobe HAS been doing some bugfixes, but like you I have no idea what's specifically fixed in 13.0.4.  Since you have the option, I'd suggest trying it.  Who knows, it may fix the issue in this thread.

I usually do that with a virtual machine if I'm not sure whether I really want the install on my workstation. I don't know what options you have to do that kind of thing with a Mac.  I think VMware supports virtual OSX installs, but there's licensing issues that keep one from doing it on a PC.

I agree that highly detailed release notes would be very welcome indeed.

People do need to make decisions about what software to run, and it's just a guessing game without information.  Adobe, with recent update releases, hasn't proven themselves worthy of unquestioned trust that "newer is better".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

As usual, the only real way to tell what's better would be to install it and try it.

I know that Adobe HAS been doing some bugfixes, but like you I have no idea what's specifically fixed in 13.0.4.  Since you have the option, I'd suggest trying it.

I could try the 13.0.4 update in a cloned system volume but have lacked the motivation, so far. Until I read of a fix for a single bug which has been detrimental to my use of 13.0.1, I'll make do with the software whose behaviour and results is known to me.

I do know that there has been no fix to 3D rendering being almost useless for Mac users for the 5 months since the 13.0.1 update inflicted the problem. Meanwhile, Adobe has had no problem allocating resources to adding 3D enhancements to the Cloud Photoshop to lure in more customers.

Who knows, it may fix the issue in this thread.

Sculp1n replied that their Ps with the problem is up to date when you asked whether they were running 13.0.4 or 13.1.2. I suppose it's possible that they are using 13.1.2, and 13.0.4 has fixes that aren't in 13.1.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to conroy

I have this same problem. Running Photoshop CS6 on a Cloud Subscription version 13.1.2 x64 - and it says I'm all up to date.

When I select the text in the layers menu it says the correct value:

adobe-help-screenshot1.jpg

Then when I highlight it, it changes to a weird value, making it impossible for me to scale it accurately:

Screen shot 2013-03-19 at 11.04.42 PM.png

This is a serious problem since I can't deliver accurate values to my developer. Please help!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to thenewbeatTO

How did you get it into that state?

Were several layers sized together at some point in the past?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Ive just posted a thread about this very issue. Its really annoying.

Did anyone get a resolution?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 31, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Sculp1n

For what it's worth, I can't reproduce this problem with Photoshop CC 14.0.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 3:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hello UK Singh.

This happens even when you are transforming a single text layer. We are using PS 13.0.4 and deleting the prefs makes no difference.

Hello Noel. We have about 60 photoshop users here with alot of licencing in place to use CS6 (v13) with clients - not sure an upgrade to CC would be an easything to do.

Was hoping there would be an update/fix/setting to stop this from happening.

W

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to wobblewoo

Turns out I'm having the exact same issue. I never had this problem at home, probably because I never updated that copy yet, but at work I have the latest copy and I have this terrible Transform and Character Values issue, making it impossible to get work done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to stuartbnewsom

We have fixed this here, an update to 13.0.5 fixed the error.

HTH

W

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 4:33 AM   in reply to wobblewoo

We have fixed this here, an update to 13.0.5 fixed the error.

The problem is that update broke other things in the Character Panel. Now if you scale text, scrubby input for all Character Panel controls is hosed and all input for Tracking is broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to Sculp1n

I'm a complete noob here... so appologies, this problem is causing an absolute disaster... any updates as to when its going to get fixed?... i've updated but its STILL not fixed.  Trying to create an interface that requires me to move text styling between psd's without a central point of reference ie: POINT SIZE its complete guess work.. ADOBE.. WTH have you done??? .. the type tool worked perfectly before hand ive been using photoshop for 15 years... why tinker with it now????

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to iQ-Owen1

Hello iQ-Owen. What version of photoshop are you using? In Photoshop go to Photoshop - About Photoshop, it tells you there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to charles badland

Hello Charles Badland.

I dont know what scrubby input is, can you tell me? I also dont know what input for Tracking is.

Wx

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points