Skip navigation
jp1997
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to track word files using bridge cs6

Feb 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Tags: #word #indesign

Hello,

Im new to bridge and see i can track jpegs, tiffs etc using keyword. Quite nice. However, if i place a word document or excel file (1 of say 50) I'd like to know i placed it in indesign.  I've assigned a placed keyword so i can keep track of placed images but excel and word does not let me input metadata. Imagine 1000 photos and 32 word files. I want to keep track of whats been placed in indesign. If people add new photos to the folder i can easily sort via keyword and see what hasn't been placed. Except for word and excel files. Any thought?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to jp1997

Except for word and excel files. Any thought?  Thanks.

Maybe the InDesign forum users have more knowledge about this but you can't add metadata to Documents, Excel sheets and PDF in Bridge, probably for its file structure and lack of ability of XMP storage but I'm no expert in that.

However you can use rating and sorting on the files and with 0 - 5  stars and 0 - 5 labels you have a lot of options to filter on results, only you need to have a good system for adding them to the files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to jp1997

PDF is an Adobe file format. Word and Excel are Microsoft's, and will not be designed to be compatible with an Adobe add-on. I can't say I'm surprised you can't label them.

XMP is an XML-like data structure which can be incorporated into some existing file formats, like DNG, TIFF and JPEG, and externally with others, like RW2, CR2, and NEF. I guess Adobe could adapt Bridge to associate external XMP data with Excel/Word files, but are staying clear.

You might try asking in the Indesign forum. People there might have gone through what you're trying already.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points