Skip navigation
bondo86
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver Opens Files I Don't Want It To

Feb 7, 2013 7:12 PM

Hi all. When I go to help and support in my start menu, for some odd reason Dreamweaver opens all my links in Dreamweaver. I'm not Dreamweaver savy, I bought the suit for PS and Flash. I've looked in preferences, and can't really find a resolve anywhere there, so I turned to the forums. Thanks for any help, Jarod.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to bondo86

Check your system preferences - it sounds like hyperlinks are being associated with the Dreamweaver application (as opposed to your system-preferred browser).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to bemdesign

Look for a file on your system with a .html suffix.

Right click it and choose Open With > Choose Default Program

If Dreamweaver is selected...

Either choose a browser from the list (if present) or browse to whichever program you want to open those files (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc).

Make sure the "Always use the selected program..." checkbox is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to bondo86

You need to find an actual .html file on your HD, any actual .html file will do.

Then follow the steps I gave you.

Right now, Dreamweaver is set up to display all .html files it appears. When you right click an actual .html file from your desktop (not from within that popped up window) you will get the options I discussed above.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to bondo86

What you did there, I see it...

Which files are opening in DW (what does the top bar of the window in DW say)?

EDIT: Huh...

Would you look at that, mine does it too (DWCS4). It looks like the temp .js files generated by the System Information and HP Support Assistant pop up in DW. Weird. I'm still able to access the correct info as long as DW is open when I click the links from the Help and Support window though. I have no idea how to fix that, being they're temp files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points