Skip navigation
aragornn23
Currently Being Moderated

Gray color prints as brown using Photoshop CS6

Feb 8, 2013 5:08 AM

Tags: #printing_problems #photoshop_cs6 #gray_prints_as_brown

I reformatted my computer and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 service pack 1 and installed Photoshop CS6 and when I print my work the color gray prints as brown and the yellow green has a shade of brown in it as well so its darker. I did calibrate my monitor, I use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as ICC profile and RGB in working spaces, and US Web Coated v2 as CMYK. I changed the mode to CMYK 16 bit and proof setup to Working CMYK. In printer setting I set the color handling to Photoshop manages colors and set it to hardproofing. I did match it with the color management in display settings. What am I missing? What else should I do? I think my Epson T1100 printers are fine because they both print the same color gray as brown so it must be in Photoshop where the problem is, but I'm stuck now and don't know what to do. Please anyone help me? This is frustrating..Before I reformatted I was using Photoshop CS5 and my prints are fine but when I reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and Photoshop CS6 the printing problems starts, I reinstalled Photoshop CS5 but the print outs still has problems, color gray prints as brown..By the way, I print on white bond papers and white box boards, so color blending is not the case I'm sure..If anyone have anymore solution, please let me know? Thank you very much in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to aragornn23

16 bit

try unchecking 16 bit if you are checking it any where in your print dialogs (it is probably okay to keep your Source doc in 16 bit) -- this one tip may solve the problem of dark, off prints using CS6 "Photoshop Manages Colors"

CMYK

you should probably be printing on an Epson inkjet printer from an RGB document (unless printing through a RIP)

proof setup

forget using using View> Proof Setup (soft proofing) for now, it is likely only confusing you

hardproofing

you should probably use Normal Printing until you get your work flow figured out

I did calibrate my monitor

good,

the Source> Print Space conversion has zero to do with how the document displays

as the Source> Monitor conversion has zero to do with how the doc prints

in Photoshop, the Source Space is independent of the Monitor and Print spaces (hopefully)

color gray prints as brown.

that's a sure sign your conversion to the printer profile is bad (you are using the wrong printer/paper/ink ICC profile

may want to review

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1147693 (skip to post 13)

and post back with the same basic screenshots of your settings...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to aragornn23

wow, very dramatic

first, you appear to be stumbling on Customized Proof Conditions

try

View> Proof Setup> Custom< Device to simulate (should be your Print Profile) if you are trying to "Soft Proof" your print on the display -- USE THIS FEATURE SPARINGLY! (i will suggest you ignore it for now after checking your print profile for a second opinion, if it matches your print or if it is clean is a clue)

proofsetup.jpg

it looks like you are otherwise doing everything right (and the PDI look great)

but where did you get that Epson II 07 profile (that is a prime suspect, does it Soft Proof okay)

did you run a nozzle clean and check print - is it good

are you sure you are printing on the right side of the paper

you aren't printing on plain paper are you

before calling Epson, i would get a quality OEM Epson paper like Epson Premium Luster or Gloss and give the matched OEM Epson profile a go

i've had great success using their Advanced Product Support 562-###-1305 (if your printer qualifies)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportContacts.jsp

search the link for 1305 for the full number (make sure you are speaking to Long Beach, not out of country)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to gator soup

ps

i can't read the blue highlite -- is that media type (plain paper)

paper.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to aragornn23

me thinks your profiles aren't installed or Photoshop is not finding them (you should have a boatload of Epson profiles in that drop menu) here mine

profiles.jpg

the settings look good (Photoshop Manages Colors) i think the problem is your one Epson profile isn't a good Print Space

maybe a windows person (or Epson support) can help you track down the folder of Epson profiles and find out if they are installed in the right place, why they aren't showing up, but I think that is the problem

maybe the Epson driver download page has the profiles in a seperate download and a Win7 compatibility (do check into that)

http://www.epson.com.ph/epson_philippines/printers_and_all_in_ones/ink jet/product.page?product_name=Epson_Stylus_Office_T1100

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to aragornn23

i looked around for profiles & tutorials on Photoshop profile for Epson T1100

they did use Ps Manages Colors, plain paper and use ICM

i am assuming you are using OEM Epson ink set

i think your best option is to call Epson and tell them your desaturated RGB is printing brown, you can only find one Epson profile, and ask them what the problem is

pls let us know what they say...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to gator soup

meantime, maybe try a sRGB version of the PDI image and PRINTER MANAGES COLORS workflow

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to gator soup

okay, i don't like to be stumped on an Epson...

the ICM button in the print driver (below) got me wondering about its function because your print looks like double color management is being applied

ICM.jpg

from this luminouslandscape thread:

madmanchan:

1) When you let PS do it (e.g., choose Let Photoshop Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then you need to disable color management in the Epson driver. This is performed by setting the Printer Color Management setting in the Epson driver to Off (No Color Adjustment).

2) When you let the Epson driver perform the conversion instead (e.g., choose Let Printer Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then in most cases you need to choose ICM from the Printer Color Management setting in the driver. By choosing Host ICM, the Epson driver is simply using your operating system's built-in color management routines to perform the conversion (instead of using its own internal routines). You get to choose a rendering intent in much the same way that PS allows you to choose a rendering intent if you go with option #1 above.

i wasn't sure what ICM was so i looked it up and it appears to be a Windows' CMS equivalent of Apple's ColorSync

if that is the case -- using Photoshop Manages Colors -- you would want to turn off all Color Management options, including ICM, PhotoEnhance, Color Controls so they do not influence Photoshop's Source> Print Profile conversion -- use only "OFF (No Color Adjustment)"

i still don't understand the one print profile, but it may represent a package of hidden profiles... heard of Canon doing this, but never Epson

of course i am speculating a lot here...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to gator soup

i think selecting ICM shows the OFF option and checking it turns ICM off

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to aragornn23

From the OP:

"Before I reformatted I was using Photoshop CS5 and my prints are fine but when I reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and Photoshop CS6 the printing problems starts, I reinstalled Photoshop CS5 but the print outs still has problems, color gray prints as brown"

Then the place to look is not Photoshop but the re-installation.

Hve you tried to print from outside Photoshop? What does the Epson Test Page look like?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to gator soup

When ICM is selected that's when the Off (No Color Management) option appears, you're right, checking it would turn ICM off, so "double" color management is not happening at all.. I don't know why there's only 1 Epson profile either. I haven't found a folder which contains ICC profiles for Epson but found the ones in Adobe..My printer by the way is converted into CISS and I'm not using an OEM Epson ink set, but everything was working fine before even if that's the case. Too bad I didn't give a close look at color settings and profiles before so I'm not sure what's the exact settings that I was using then, but I remember the profile was sRGB, photoshop manages colors but I forgot about the printer profile but I think it was the same single epson profile that I'm using now. It would be easier to pinpoint if only one printer that prints gray as brown but both my Epson T1100 prints the same, so it must really be Photoshop where the problem is, or the "all mighty" settings. If it's the ink then I should be experiencing print problem long before, but I'm using the ink from the same large bottle that I was using before the printing problem started..I've chosen a lot of profiles already from the options as well as a couple other combinations but the results were either desaturated or darker and messed as well but the one thing that stays the same is, guess what? Color Gray prints as brown or with reddish brown tint in all of those prints..I think I would just have to pay someone who do home service to fix this problem.:)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Yes I did print outside of Photoshop and the result is the same. I printed straight from the image viewer and same thing happened, gray prints as reddish brown..The Epson test page was fine, the colors of the Windows logo were fine, I don't see any problem with the test page.. Sorry I'm aragornn23, I thought I used the right account.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Gilsonn

My printer by the way is converted into CISS and I'm not using an OEM Epson ink set

that would have been useful info up front

printer manages colors using sRGB...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to Gilsonn

I suspect it's in the color management of Windows.

Do this:

Go to an empty part of the desktop, right click and choose Screen Resolution. Choose Advanced Settings>Color Management>Color Management button. On the Color Management screen, Open the Devices tab. Scroll down the Device Selector and pick your printer. Under the Device Selector, click Use my settings for this device. Profile selection should show Manual. The box under Profiles associated.... should now show all the profiles available, starting with your printer model appended with (default) If not, Select it, click Add, then Set as Default. Close Color management and check the printing.

You should also have the same settings on the monitor tab (Manual, profiles shown and your calibrator output set (default). If not either select it or lacking custom calibration, use the sRGB profile, which works well with recent LCD monitors.

Then get back here with your results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

suspect it's in the color management of Windows.

interesting if that's it

shouldn't ICM: OFF (No Color Adjustment) in the Epson driver make Windows ICM irrelevant (for practical purposes) under Photoshop Manages Colors workflow

this may be one of those Windows irregularities Noel works around... seeing is believing

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to gator soup

Yes, but if for some reason it hasn't been configured correctly, this should do it.

print color settings.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

interesting again (i am learning and never noticed that devices window before as a Mac user)

still, in theory, since the Epson printer CM is 'off' under Photoshop's "Photoshop Manages Colors" (and classic Epson no color adjustment setting) i would think Photoshop's direct Source> Print Space setting should trump all the other influences

obviously though, it does look Photoshop is being double managed (magenta cast) in the printing process

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to gator soup

It should, but Epson has had some bugs in their drivers lately.

Apparently turning on the 16 bit print option in Epson's drivers mucks up color management (despite appearing to be off).

And we've known for a long time that their advanced B&W option ignores color management.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Epson has 16 bit print options? I knew Canon did but never Epson. Is there a 16 bit option for the 3800?

I am aware of the B&W option which reverts control to Epson (unless you use Eric Chan's method,). I have no difficulty with it other than it's rather crude in terms of actually previewing the custom tweaks. Is there a problem with it?

At any rate, both for monitor and printing, maually assuming control works best for me as there is less chance for a "gotcha"!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Ok, I answered my own question. None available for Windows and beta versions only for Mac Leopard.

Reading some info on testing 16 vs 8 bit printing, one writer did a test and saw zero difference, which basically agrees with what the person responsible for Canon professional printer sales said about 16 bit drivers. If you looked at specific color swatches, a barely detectable difference might be noted, but not general printing.

Perhaps b&w might show it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to aragornn23

Color Settings:

Change Working Spaces RGB to sRGB or AdobeRGB

Change Color Management Policiies RGB to Preserve Imbedded profiles.

Color Settings Setup.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Assign Profile should not be set to Profile, it should be set to the middle button Working RGB and should be the same as what you reset Color Settings, ie sRGB or Adobe RGB.

My Windows CM Settings:

Windows Color Management setup.JPG

However, since I am set to manual, I don't think this box is relevant.

Reset to my suggestions and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to aragornn23

I would also look to Epson and be sure that you have the newest drivers.

I happen to have an Epson office combo (Workforce 645) that uses the same profile as yours (Epson IJ Printer 07). There is no option to use Photoshop settings, that is I can only print from Photoshop using printer management. nevertheless, setting for best color, I ran a test on basic office paper and the result was impressive. I may even resort to this printer for quick views!

So it comes down,  for me at this point:

Bad drivers

Bad ink

bad OS installation.

I actually had the same problem on the 3800 last year and it came down to problems with the magenta ink not running. Light magenta was ok but not Magenta. Of course, the 645 doesn't have the light magentas and cyans, I don't know about yours.

I have no other profiles available on the 645 .

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points