Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

From Elements11 to Encore

Feb 7, 2013 7:59 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements #publish_settings

I am a long time user of Prem. Pro (1.5) and I am now trying to convert to PE11. I think I have the editing pieces pretty well in hand but the Publishing items have me a bit confused. At this point my inputs are from DV tape cameras. My practice with Pro had been to edit the tapes and output segments that would be used with Encore 2.0. I used the encoder in Pro to generate M2V and WAV files for each segment that were menu items. The WAV were converted by Encore to Dolby.

With PE11 I was thinking that I would start with Computer MPEG NTSC DVD and the use a custom preset adjusted to NTSC 720X480 and use 1pass VBR at 3, 6, &8 settings. I left the GOP setting as defaults. Audio was set Dolby at 128K. Multplexing at DVD.

Now the Questions:

Is my approach aproximately correct?

Will I be able to use the ouput file/s with Encore and the many menu sets I have developed?

Will there be 1 or 2 files?

What do you think about my settings?

If I use the "Share Workbar Only" I should be able to generate a set of files that are equivalent to those

I have been using with Pro. True?

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 9:03 PM   in reply to hal_ek

Yes. If you do your Bit-Bugeting correctly, going to an MPEG-2 DVD for the Video, and either a WAV, or DD AC3 for the Audio, will work fine.

However, EncoreDVD 2.0 has a great "Automatic" feature, that will do "the math" for you. In that case, you would Share/Publish from PrE as a DV-AVI w/ only Video, and separately, the Audio (PCM WAV, or DD AC3). Import the DV-AVI into Encore as a Timeline, and the WAV, or AC3 as an Asset. In Encore, drag the Audio file to the Timeline. Do Menus and navigation, and let Encore do the Transcoding on Automatic. Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to hal_ek

Yes you are doing it correct. You might want to tweak the bitrate to 2.8-8-9,  VBR2  and setting muliplexer to none.

This means two file: m2v and ac3.

Going the dv avi like Bill suggested means an extra step in compression you do not need. Its the old fashion way of converting to dvd.

I think PE11 will do a better job in converting then Encore 2.0.

All you have to do is make menu and burn to dvd.

export mpeg2-dvd.png

export audio.png

export mulitplexing.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to hal_ek

Its better to use two files instead of one file in Encore, it saves a lot of work.

When building a dvd Encore has to split (demux) the audio from the video and after build has to stitch it back together again

Is there any way to set in a time code to stop the capture?

No not with Elements, you will have to do that manually.

I used to capture the whole tape with split scenes in one go.

Aftewards the scnenes that were no good I deleted from the hdd.

Which camera (brand and nr) are you capturing from?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to hal_ek

I agree with Ann. Providing Encore with the elemental Streams is the desired workflow for DVD-Video/BD. Encore has far less work to do, with those.

Also, though one CAN gang Assets onto one Timeline in Encore, working with separate Timelines, one for each Video Asset, will eliminate several potential problems, and with Encore's Playlists, and Chapter Playlists (you DO have Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, IIRC, where Chapter Playlists were introduced), you can set up any navigation, that you need.

For full "scene detection," from HDV tape, you might want to look into HDVSplit, to do the Capture. Many users feel that it was the Capture utility, that Adobe should have bought, and implemented in Premiere.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I did check the HDVSplit link, but unfortunately it did not include the feature of being able to set Start & Stop timecodes which was available in PPro. That is what I was hoping to get rather than scene detection. I found that feature very useful when I was capturing 5 to 10 minute clips without any interruptions.

Do you know if it would be possible to extract the Capture Routine from PPro to use without having the whole PPro set of software cluttering the hard drive?

Now for a moment, back to the separate Video & Audio file for use with Encore. Are there special steps that are required to insure that there is no synch problem between them?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to TVPOA Chan3

I do not know of any way to do such an extraction, or even any other software to recommend. That does not mean that there is not something readily available, but just that I am unaware of it. Maybe others will have a useful rec. for you.

As I use my PrPro much more than my PrE, I just have not explored alternatives too much, and just do my Captures in PrPro, or HDVSplit. It IS ashame that there is not something that is perfect in all respects, but it seems that it's like a Chinese restaurant's menu, "1 from column A, 1 from column B, and no substitutions... "

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Which camera do you use to capture with HDV split?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to TVPOA Chan3

Now for a moment, back to the separate Video & Audio file for use with Encore. Are there special steps that are required to insure that there is no synch problem between them?

Short answer: No.

BTW which camera are you using and what version of Encore?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Which camera do you use to capture with HDV split?

Canon HV40.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points