Skip navigation
a-webber
Currently Being Moderated

CPU q6600 or PhenomII X4 b25

Feb 7, 2013 8:41 PM

Which of these two CPU's will work better and faster with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 ?

I have an AMD Athlon II X3 425 unlocked to Phenom II X4 B25 (quad) .

And I want to buy an Q6600 by Intel 2.4ghz.

Is that a wise decission?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to a-webber

Q6600 is like four or five years old, right? You don't want to get an intel unless it is core i7 or the highest end i5s. Only the best AMDs as well, and I don't think that the ones that you listed will qualify.

You will want a decent processor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to a-webber

No, it is very unwise. Both CPU's make for a system that is slower than 90% of the observations in the PPBM5 Benchmark

It escapes me why you would consider such very weak and outdated CPU's. I agree with Stephen, only consider an i7 CPU but nothing AMD. All AMD based systems, even their latest 8 core systems end up in the lower quartile or even lower and are outclassed by many i7-9xx systems, even though they are a generation old. AMD's are completely left in the dust by SB, SB-E and Ivy based systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to a-webber

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to a-webber

I agree with the responses. Both of those CPUs that you listed are a complete waste of money, especially since they are very slow, old and outdated (and in the case of the entire LGA 775 platform that the Q6600 uses, totally EOL). In fact, both of those CPUs are slower than even a dual-core Sandy Bridge i3 in Premiere Pro CS6.

And I agree with Harm about even the eight-core AMD CPU-based PCs: They have to be massively overclocked just to perform as fast in CS6 as even a slightly overclocked Intel quad-core (without hyperthreading) Sandy or Ivy Bridge i5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points