Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help me understand registration swatch

Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

In Illustrator the registration color (which for me is set to a white) I always just thought that this means that no color / ink will be applied to that area? Is that correct?

If I was to have a predominately white busness card being printed on white card stock, is it best for me to use the "White" swatch or "registration" swatch, if I want to keep/make an object/area as white as possible?

Any help would be great

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registration swatch merely means that it's used for printer marks and appears on all ink plates. Nothing beyond that is implicit. Not the color, nor any otehr specifics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registration is 100% of all used colours (CMYK and/or Spot).

It should never be used as a rich black (as one contributor to this forum maintained several moons back). NEVER. EVER.

If you are drawing your own trim, fold or crop marks, use Registration.

That way they will show up on all plates.

As long as you are not using spot colours you may possibly use Registration for the black in opacity masks but it’s really more professional to make a 100% CMYK swatch for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response guys.

So from what I understand if I want a an object to appear "white" I should be filling it with a "white" swatch, compared to just leaving it filled with the "registration" swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep.

Unless you happen to be using a spot white, in which case spot white will be included in Registration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines