Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS6 8.0.1 report "missing" links after package

Feb 7, 2013 11:39 PM

Tags: #after #indesign #links #cs6 #package #report #"missing"

After reopening indd file from package folder, links palate is fullfill with brocken links. Links have correct new path to links folder in package. Sometimes indd wont package all links.

Whats wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to kajzica

Do you activate "include Fonts and Links From Hidden and Non-Printing Content" in the "Create Package Folder" dialog? You should do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:34 AM   in reply to kajzica

Links on the pasteboard will also not be included in a package.

But the problem may also be in the link or folder names. Haven't heard of this happeing in CS6, but file or folder names that contain "illegal" characters (slashes, asterisks, etc.) may not be collected, and in some earlier versions of ID the collection of links would stop at the first failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to kajzica

I have no idea what you're talking about. If you need help you're going

to have to provide a better description of the problem.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to kajzica

Are the .indd file and the links folder together in the same folder, or have you moved the links aboive the folder that holds the .indd file?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to kajzica

Are your prefs set to find missing links on file open?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to kajzica

That looks correct. ID should always look for links first in the absolute path saved in the file, then in the current directory withthe file itself, and finally in subdirectories, but it cannot go up the the chain. This is why you are able to hand off a Package folder to a service provider, or transfer it from one computer to another, without loss of functionality. I don't see anything in what you've posted so far that looks like you've violated the rules so unless you've left something out, or misled us in some way, I think there's a problem in ID itself on your system. The first thing to try is to trash your preferences. See Replace Your Preferences.

You can also try, for diagnostic purposes, creating and using a new user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to kajzica

Roll your mouse over one of the missing links. Where does ID think they are?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Is it possible you didn't check the box to update links in the packaged file? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this if your install or prefs are not damaged.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to kajzica

This is NOT a general problem in CS6. It's something that you are doing, but I can't tell what. I have no problem packaging a file here, then moving the package folder to a new location and even renaming the package folder inside another folder that I've moved it into so the original link path is invalid.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to kajzica

Boys, question is: WHY INDESIGN IGNORE "LINKS" FOLDER???

Another question might be, why do you ignore the people who are making efforts to assist you? Posts 13 and 14 pose good investigative questions, which answered factually, might help reveal the root of your problem. I emphasize your problem because this is not a widespread condition that everyone but you knows about. It is on your system. No one can answer why it's happening on your system without your participation in troubleshooting. Simply restating the question that's already understood isn't going to help. So then:

Roll your mouse over one of the missing links. Where does ID think they are?

Is it possible you didn't check the box to update links in the packaged file?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to kajzica

I know exactly what you're talking about, and this is the response I got from Peter Spier.

"It's an annoying change in behavior."

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to snoggy

snoggy wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about, and this is the response I got from Peter Spier.

"It's an annoying change in behavior."

I'm quite sure that response was given to the lack of highlighting of missing or modified links in folders where they are present, not at all the same thing that is being discussed in this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ok my bad, so to you think the problem with the not highlighting missing links will be fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to snoggy

No idea about what might be coming is CS7, but I'm hopeful. This was a bad call and a common complaint. For CS6, I have my doubts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Good to know, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to kajzica

I think that I have the same problem. I´m using Hyperlinks in the some objects by tranfer area but when I paste inside the "hyperlinks", the "?" characters change to FD3C. It´s a CS6 bug.

Solution:

I put the link in the "hyperlink menu" and after opened the "hyperlink window". In the "hyperlink windows" "?" character was FD3C. I changed "manually" to "?".

It´s my solution for this.

I updated the ID CS6 and the problem is the same.

I think the problem was in the Transfer Area to ID CS6. I made the same job in ID CS5 and doesn´t exist this problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points